Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Bikes or not. Whatever
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

Hi Steve,
I'm back in Blighty after a sojurn in Miami where I was asked by my sister in law to fix my nephew's Harley 880 sportster that he has abandoned so that it could sold (I get restless when on holiday). Unfortunately the petrol pump was U/S (not surprising considering the crud / stale fuel in the tank, which I cleaned with nuts and bolts) so this is probably the closest I'll ever get to riding a Harley !

On the subject of Scammel, I seem to remember from my childhood that the fire tenders were Scammel (this was in Poole)?

It is one thing to restore a bike, but one of those 'monsters'?................wonderful!! :P

Anyway, glad to see that you are still cavorting around the country as usual.

BR,
Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Steven.Carter

Re: Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Cavorting is a good word, and most accurate. Hope you had a great time.

My first job this morning was in Basingstoke near you Keith. I never really knew what this company did but as I've been feeding our cats for the last two weeks whilst my wife has been on a cruise the smell of cat food is now fixed in my nose. I now know that this company makes. Cat food :D . I got away from Basingstoke arond 10 and had a good ride up to the Millbrook Proving Ground near Beford where new cars are tested around a track. I would have had a few good pictures but at security they stick stickers on your phones camera lens to stop you taking pictures.
Now my ride today was a bit cold but this picture lies. Could use it in my Christmas cards though :D This was the entrance to Center Parcs
2018-12-04 13.28.27.jpg

Coming back from Bedford I took the slightly longer route via Oxford. Got me away from the M25.

2018-12-04 15.58.32.jpg

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Steve,
That picture of fake snow at centre parks can stay where it is.......... here in Bramley it just seems to rain and then some more!

I need some bright wind less weather at the weekend so that I can get outside and do some welding. At the moment I am making up a sort of space model of the NH to fit a side stand. Once that's sorted I can strip it down, paint the frame and begin the build.............engine and gearbox all ready. The only trouble with this time of year is it's dark whenever I have spare time.

Anyway, as long as the cats are still alive and kicking when Mrs. Carter returns (so you'd better not be going on your travels for long) , I'm sure all will be well :lol:

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Carols back and all the animals survived my care, my mate a few years ago had the much simpler task of keeping a gold fish alive but failed. He just went out and bought another but that one only lasted a few hours so was forced back to the shop to get another. He fed them too much :D

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm

I road up this afternoon to see my mate Andrew, and as I left for home I can remember thinking to myself that it was taking along time to tickle the carb! I should have listened better. About 3 miles down the A31 near Bently I ran out of fuel :oops:
I was only 2 miles from a petrol station so tried leaning the bike over to get some fuel from the other side. but only managed about 1/2 mile. Hmm, thought I'd have to ring Andy but then a bike pulled over. My saviour Nick enquired into my troubles and offered me some of his petrol, what a great lad.
Anyway, one sad fact about our roads, finding an old plastic bottle wasn't differcult, even found an empty one without the yellow contents but how to get the fuel out. His tank had a quick release connection but nothing came out. Well I thought, game over. But he had a eureka moment. He pulled off a long breather pipe from his tank and used it to siphon petrol out. Result :D :D I was most impressed with his quick thinking. Couldn't thank him enough and wouldn't even let me fill his tank. I told him about my little blog so if you read this Nick drop me a text 07818067330. Might be able to do you a turn one fine day :D

2018-12-07 15.30.04.jpg

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:14 pm

3 Hurrays for Nick !

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Back to Beaulieu this morning but before I had some time for coffee in Hythe. A foot ferry leaves here for Southampton. The very long pier has an electric train that takes passengers to the boat.

IMG_20181210_200427.jpg

IMG_20181210_200530.jpg

Funnly looking engines.
2018-12-10 08.05.15.jpg

I then travelled to Ashurst hospital in the new forest to a birthing pool. Well the boiler house. I didnt see any newborns :D

Finaly I finished back at Porton Down. The investment there is still going full tilt.

2018-12-10 20.19.40.jpg

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Thought I'd have an easy day but a customer wanted me at Wallingford to a gas pressure reducing station. That's a bit of a pain as I'm at the honey factory on Thursday and this job couldn't wait. Still it was a lovely day, with the bright sunshine in the correct place, behind me. No pictures as cameras not allowed.
I got the speed up a bit more, nearly 70 for most of the riding. Leaving late with less traffic was nice.
2018-12-11 21.04.18.jpg

PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby PeterW » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 pm

I didn't know we had a gas pressure reducing station.
Nice old vintage railway station though :¬)

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 am

Hi Steve,
What fascinating places you visit!

Now that the end of the year is approaching, I hope you have considered and decided on the new blog; 'RE; Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2019'?!!!!!

I'd really miss your ramblings.

Keith :D
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH

Return to “Main Chat Forum”