Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Bikes or not. Whatever
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 pm

simon.holyfield wrote:Steve, does the spindle go through the lathe headstock? I'm wondering if I will be able to drill the centre hole using my 7 x 14 mini lathe, which has a 20mm hole through the headstock.

How long is the swinging arm spindle?

225mm long to start with Simon but thats a little over size. After the bushes were reamed to take the 7/8" spindle I turned down its lengh so that only two thou was sticking out each end. Actualy I'm wrong, I should have said 12 thou sticking out each side of the bushes.

The outside dia of the spindle is nearer 22mm so that won't go through the headstock, doesn't even go through mine.

I've some of my silver steel left over, don't mind drilling one out for you.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Many thanks Steve, I might take you up on that. I've made various QD hub tools on my lathe, which are quite long but they don't have holes drilled in the ends!

I'm sure I could have done it if the diameter was 20mm or less. I'll measure up and let you know.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bob.keevil » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Steve
You must have been at Wickham early or very late as from 9.30 till 11.00 you could hardly park a bike or walk around, and I missed you,
Spring ride out how about Greenham common control tower as it is now has a tea room and visitor center.

Cheers Bob K

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 am

i have read dire warnings about "silver steel" over the years,and have wondered if the source is the breakage of fully hardened rod,quenched in cold water ...........if you look in tables,the only evidence found is a rather low Charpy impact value.,otherwise ,no basis in the available evidence........nevertheless ,the usual suspects can always be found to predict doom ....The main doom Ive seen over the years is owners who like to weld up wear in girder fork spindles,then when they break......."must have been made of silver steel" cry out the experts.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:17 am

ARIEL Seem to make axles etc out of stuff that will bend, rather than break. (I hope that's the reason and it's not just "hoop iron".) I don't use "silver steel" for anything that will be shock loaded. It is a bit inclined to just break sometimes but the rear swingarm pin is fairly large section. So should be alright. IF you are ever really concerned use annealed Chromolly 41 something. You cannot weld "silver steel" its a carbon steel actually about the lowest grade of tool steel It's main advantage is it's finished to a size and good finish.Nev

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am

Yes Nev, I hope its going to be OK. The silver steel spindle does have the stainless bolt going straight through the middle. If it should break it has that bold holding it all together.

Its finished so I'm of for a run today with my friend, hopefuly things will feel much better.
2018-12-29 14.34.54.jpg

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 am

The last bit of silver steel i bought ,the packet assay was 1%Cr,1.25% C......so in fact very similar to roller bearing steel.....and you dont see bearings breaking all over the place,despite the fact they are heat treated to be very hard......Anyhoo,I would have far more concern about all the stainless steel load bearing components being flogged by parts suppliers..........far more crack sensitive and prone to work hardening than
any carbon steel.with the added caution that no one knows what kind of stainless is being used.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks John, it lasted today at least. Had a lovely winter run around West Sussex. Bit grey but not at all cold. She seems to track true and straight, I feel much more confident in the bends. All good for the new year.

2018-12-30 16.30.01.jpg

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Last ride of 2018 and last post. I delivered a repaired mudguard to Mick in Verwood then a ride up to see John Hulme in Andover then home. Bike running great.
Then my mate Alan said have checked your wheels are straight. Hes got a fantastic tool for aligning the wheels.
20181231_165948.jpg

20181231_154617.jpg

20181231_154623.jpg

They were just a bit out, he even used a feeler gauge to get it perfect.

Now theres a lovely elderly lady that we keep an eye on nearby who bought me a Christmas present, I remember her once asking me how old my bike was, 1958 I said. Ahhhh, well if I ever win the lottery she said, I'll buy you a new one :D
Anyway about the Christmas present hmmmm

Happy New Year

Steve
Screenshot_20181231-172504_Gallery.jpg

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:31 pm

Happy New Year to one and all.

We're looking forward to "Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2019" already!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Main Chat Forum”