Bike storage in moist climates

Bikes or not. Whatever
Akumar

Bike storage in moist climates

Postby Akumar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Dear fellow enthusiasts,

I have a few vintage bikes in storage in a moist climate (near sea). Is there any harm in storing bikes long term in such manner? I am not sure if the sheet metal/electrics can be damaged in such storage conditions. I was also curious if any of you has experienced damage to bikes in such conditions. Please also suggest any special protective measures one should take. Thank you.

Kumar
48' SQ4, 53' VB, 51' NH

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Bike storage in moist climates

Postby robjameson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:38 pm

These work really well

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)
2016 Honda CBR600RR

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Salt air is never kind to bikes (my mirror-polished Square four came back grey after a trip to the Isle of Man).

I have seen a firm advertising a 'safe environment' system. Basically you park the bike inside a large plastic bag along with some hygroscopic gel beads, seal it up and pump out the air. It might be worth investigating that if the bikes are going to be static for some time.

Others use 'ACF50' spray to cover chrome and alloy during the winter when there is salt on the roads and then wash it off in the summer. That may work for you - but will need some work before the bike can be put back into service.

Others may have different tales to tell.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Salt and most metals is really destructive, with the more reactive metals like magnesium and aluminium worse affected. Plating is still porous so chrome will have some areas pimpling and corroding below the plated layer, and require a lot of undesirable hand polishing of the original metal surface to restore it before replating. Having no moisture about will reduce the damage . Oil or wax will also help but sealing up in a plastic bag, as well has to be the way to go. Your engine should have clean oil in it and be properly inhibited if you want to do it correctly. Aircraft piston engines require this so if you get onto aircraft regulatory authorities sites the method is spelled out there. Ball races in wheels should be regreased preferably with marine trailer wheel greases. Prevention is better than cure/ repair.. Nev

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 am

The vac-bag is the only good way (or in the living :D) becouse the hollow spaces are breathing salt- moist air in when cold and breathing dry air out when warm thus leaving salt water in your crankcase and petroltank.

Here an extreme, a sad and a funny story.

In the 70's whe had VW trikes to collect wood and ships items of the beach after a storm, after 3 winters (without cleaning) the salt had burned a hole in the 10mm thick gearbox.

A friend has a 1904 Ariel 2 1/4 HP in first paint, living 50 yards from the sea and not having any heating, only a heating blanket in bed :cry: .
We are seeing it loosing more paint every year :cry: .

The police thought it was criminal to have the blinds closed during the day so the Mobile Unit went in at 5 AM only to find a few motorcycles under a highsleeper and my friend in bed :) .

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 am

I have not tried a vac bag it looks good. I use ACF50 on my bikes I find this quite good. I spray the ACF50 onto a cloth and wipe over all surfaces.

admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm

i used a vac bag for around 7 years - the bike rolled out as good as it went in !
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mike Nash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Can I just add that the use of plastic bags for all spare parts, components is a very good idea? I live in a "frost pocket" and when warm front blows in after a spell of cold everything gets condensed upon. And The Wife hasn't helped by opening the garage "to warm it up".
MikeN.
PS Note, many large plastic bags have holes in them to prevent suffocation if they're worn by children. They're no good for our purpose.

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby iansoady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I agree. I get lots of small electrical stuff, brake cleaner etc from a company called CPC and they always pack stuff in large sturdy ziploc bags which come in very handy fr keeping associated bits together.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

Return to “Main Chat Forum”