Wiring diagram

Bikes or not. Whatever
Stephen Smethurst

Wiring diagram

Postby Stephen Smethurst » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm

New member needs advice about electrical resistance.
In front of me is a wiring diagram for 1956-59 Square Four.It clearly shows a resistance symbol within the ammeter. Wire going to and from
the ammeter to pole position six and seven of the head lamp switch. The fitted ammeter has no facility for this wire and I suspect if I buy another ammeter it will be identical to the one already fitted. Resistance prevents voltage spike caused when lights or other components are suddenly used.How do I introduce a remote resistor ? Product familiar owners will know that the instrument console panel is secured by two dome headed
screws. Mine has a third fixing, in the middle of the two dome head screws which does nothing to secure the panel but does screw into a cylindrical
heavy body which contains a blown light bulb. It is not visible from the outside but I wonder if a previous owner fitted it to absorb spike.
Steve Smethurst www.aloh.co.uk

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wiring diagram

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:07 pm

That's not a resistance wire, it's the filament of the bulb behind the red-spot ammeter. When you switch on, the bulb glows, finding an earth through the dynamo field coil; when the engine is running, the bulb has +6V on both poles and doesn't glow.

Some more details here:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk ... mmeter?m=0
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, Masquerading D3 Bantam, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Wiring diagram

Postby iansoady » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 am

How ingenious!
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

Return to “Main Chat Forum”