Debit Card Fraud:

Bikes or not. Whatever
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Debit Card Fraud:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am

On Tuesday morning I received a Text from my Bank's Fraud Dept. asking if I had made a certain transaction on my Account - I hadn't and they blocked it.

Later I logged into Internet Banking and found three more transactions that the Bank had missed - total around £630. Two were for the same store as the first.

I reported this, the payments were cancelled and my card was cancelled as well (that's a real pain).

I was down at the LDR over the weekend but only used my card four times at Motorway Filling Stations. At no time did I hand the card to anyone else.

I have asked for my new card to be free of the "Contactless" facility.

Has anyone else had any issues recently ?

(I use the card a lot for on-line purchases so it may not be anything to do with the weekend).

I had to 'phone Draganfly and get them to change the card number :oops: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Debit Card Fraud:

Postby iansoady » Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I doubt whether it's anything to do with contactless as there's a limit on transaction amount (usually £30). The likelihood is that one of the card readers in the petrol stations was compromised, although as you used it for online purchases as well that's also a possible source of the problem.

But it's good you were refunded without too much hassle. I must say I keep a very close eye on my bank and credit card accounts. A couple of years ago there were fraudulent purchases on my credit card. What baffled me was that they were for airline tickets bought in Dublin so there must have been a record of the purchaser's name and other details. The banks do seem very relaxed about tracking down the offenders.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 pm

I am sure they refund your debts without too much fuss so as not to draw attention to the scale of defrauding that goes on.

Ian

chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Thu May 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Its cheaper to pay you than to update the security system I think
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby iansoady » Thu May 03, 2018 5:11 pm

True, and there are many reports about how difficult some people find it to get their money back from the banks.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Thu May 03, 2018 8:27 pm

All my cards are contactless. I don't trust modern technology too much.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 pm

My new card arrived today and I was disappointed to find that it IS contactless, despite me asking for it not to be.

I received an e-mail from a store thanking me for purchasing a girl's bicycle :shock: . However there was no matching transaction on my account so I guess the e-mail was generated before the payment was declined.

I spent 25 years as an IT Analyst/Manager working for a Bank, nothing surprises me. As one who took the job seriously and took great care with design and testing I received nothing but abuse and scorn from my peers, who preferred to do as little as possible :x .

One reads about electronic devices that can interrogate 'Contactless' cards from a distance, presumably they can obtain the card stripe details as well as relieving you of £30.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

keith.mettam

Postby keith.mettam » Fri May 04, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Bob,
Get yourself some of these to keep your contactless cards in they will prevent remote illegal scanning. You can test them out by attempting a contactless transaction whilst the card is still in its little envelope when nothing should happen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Contactl ... SwTmtaGwgK

All the best,
Keith.
PS. I hasten to add I have nothing to do with this seller at all. It is one of many I have selected from ebay UK. Choose whoever you prefer Bob.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am

On the subject of credit card fraud, my sister experienced a nasty one. Somehow someone got hold of her credit card no and made several small deductions over 2 weeks. After getting away with it they made a couple of very large ones. Her credit card was linked to her bank account and that was emptied and credit limit maxed out. She went to withdraw money to find the empty account. All money had disappeared to India. The bank tried to blame her, and even had the gall to state that they thought with the withdrawals that she was holidaying in India. When she went to leave the bank they told her that she would have to deposit money promptly to cover her mortgage payment which was due in a couple of days. It took 3 months for the bank to investigate and refund her money.
We currently have a Royal Commission into our banking industry. Many scams and fees for service never received have been uncovered amounting to millions of dollars illegally charged by our banks.
David

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am

keith.mettam wrote:Hi Bob,
Get yourself some of these to keep your contactless cards in they will prevent remote illegal scanning. Keith.

Thanks Keith,

I was perusing the net last night looking at these and other blocking devices. I think I'll go for one of those 'thick card-sized' electronic devices that are supposed to block the scanner signal. I may get a set of these metallised sleeves as well.

Bob.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”