Bike registration MOT exempt?

Bikes or not. Whatever
BertieB

Bike registration MOT exempt?

Postby BertieB » Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi, a question I hope you guys and gals can help with. If you had a bike that is old enough to not need an MOT, but you need to register it, does it need an MOT? Bike in question is a 1929 ariel LF, that I have the old log book for, but currently isn't registered. Would it need a mot? Which could be the only one the bike will or would ever have?!

KenGriggs

Re: Bike registration MOT exempt?

Postby KenGriggs » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

BertieB

Postby BertieB » Sun May 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi thanks for the link. I had looked at that website first, but i'm still not sure it sort of sends you in circles. On general how to get a bike registered the Cambridge Lambretta workshop's website is good as it even shows an example of the forms filled in http://www.lambretta.co.uk/technical.html#register Has anyone tried and been successful in registering a bike or car without an MOT?

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

You simply need to provide a completed Form V112 - Declaration of Exemption from MoT testing.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), 54 4G Mk IV (project), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm

if the bike needs to be registered then an mot is needed to get it, if the old logbook has the frame no in it then you should in theory be able to keep the reg no when you get a new v5, but if the dvla wont accept the old log book then you will need to start from scratch, its a bit pot luck really, if your application lands on the desk of someone who knows what they are doing then it goes through with out problems, otherwise it can take weeks or even months, ( i know having just done it) the dvla can be very awkward at times and if it is not on the computer they have no common sense they just send it back, (had 3 attempts before i got a V5) and then had to get a club dating letter to prove its age.
Ken

tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby tony.barnett » Mon May 28, 2018 8:59 am

Of course, if you are a club member then your Archivist will help with the process. Worth the cost of membership I would suggest.
KOBI
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52ish VH
Velocette MAC
Honda C70ZZ
Fantic 200

dave.owen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby dave.owen » Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 am

I've just registered a wng, no mot required.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Certainly up to a couple of years ago the DVLA's own rules stated that an MoT was required to register a vehicle. However at that time I know of two Ariels registered with age-related plates (including the one I was working on) without MoTs when their owners sent off the paperwork with a note pointing out the bikes were not required to have an MoT. So even when the DVLA's rules stated one thing, the various minions dealing the paperwork would quite possibly do something else.
A friend recently registered an Egli Vincent after sending back the paperwork around five times for various 'errors'. One being that he didn't send the correct personal ID. He sent another lot, identical to the first, and when they finally accepted his application they sent back BOTH sets in the envelope !

KenGriggs

Postby KenGriggs » Wed May 30, 2018 4:12 pm

DVLA and DVSA are both the same. In general they couldn't organise a (insert appropriate expletive) in a (insert appropriate location), although there can be exceptions if you happen to be lucky enough to deal with somebody who actually knows what they're doing.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”