V5C certificate and ownership

Bikes or not. Whatever
Akumar

V5C certificate and ownership

Postby Akumar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Dear fellow enthusiasts,

I am trying to get a title certificate (proof of ownership) for a 1951 Sunbeam S8 which I imported from the UK. The vehicle registration authorities here (USA) contend that since V5C is not a proof ownership, they are unable to grant me title certificate. That is somewhat true because the V5C prominently says at top "it is not a proof of ownership". So my question is what constitutes a proof of ownership in the UK? I bought this bike from the dealer and his name is recorded as "Registered keeper" on the V5C. Does that not make him the owner? I want to write a letter to my local registration authorities explaining the UK's interpretation of vehicle registration and ownership. Please enlighten.

Thank you.

Kumar
48' SQ4, 53' VB, 51' NH

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: V5C certificate and ownership

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:46 pm

I think what you may need is something along the lines of

"Received with thanks the sum of £150.00 in full and final payment for 1951 Sunbeam S8 motorcycle registration number ABC 123. Signed A Shark, motorcycle dealer."

You may interpret this kind of document as a Bill of Sale in the USA, so if you think it may help, put that as a title for the document.

A suitable stamp of some kind would add authenticity, as would headed notepaper.

No doubt the dealer you purchased the bike from will be delighted to assist you.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Dave.Thomas
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Dave.Thomas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:08 pm

paul.jameson wrote:
No doubt the dealer you purchased the bike from will be delighted to assist you.

Hope your irony travelled well across the pond, Paul

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:11 am

Presumably you have a commercial invoice/receipt from the U.K dealer ?
In N.Z., this, along with a V5C in the dealers name (or previous owner provided there is an accompanying letter from them) is sufficient proof of ownership for our authorities
Cheers,
Bevan

Return to “Main Chat Forum”