A chat today was amusing

Bikes or not. Whatever
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: A chat today was amusing

Postby roger.fellows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Giving things away is significantly different from skipping them.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm

roger.fellows wrote:Giving things away is significantly different from skipping them.

Yes, and perhaps putting an addendum into your will bequeathing bikes to those who you know will look after them.If more of the old chaps who have perhaps given up riding would allow their bikes to go to younger generation (not necessarily 17/18 year olds but 'younger') it would give more people access to the old bike scene.

Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Leejm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Feel free to leave them to me
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Leejm wrote:Feel free to leave them to me

Sorry, my son is first in the queue :lol:

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 pm

It Was worth the ask!

Mike.Morgan

Postby Mike.Morgan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 pm

As a younger member of the club (in my mid thirties) I see this as a cycle which will bring about the end of the club and most classic British bikes on the road.
1.People hold onto their bikes for too long, hoping the value will increase as much as possible as they become more of an asset than a bike to ride.
2.As values increase, younger riders can not afford to pay the prices being asked, therefore not using, riding and gaining the technical knowledge needed to maintain these bikes.
3.The experienced owners who have the expertise needed fall of their perch, taking their knowledge with them.
4. Younger riders struggle to keep their bikes running without these experts to refer to.
5. The market becomes flooded with bikes from the increasing number of deceased collectors and disgruntled younger riders unable to keep their bikes on the road.
6. Bikes become worthless and are eventually scrapped.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 am

What you're saying there Mike has been said for a while now. If the older blokes hadn't built them from rubbish and spent the time and sought the knowledge they wouldn't be there to talk about. They would be on the tip long ago, like most consumables.. Many of the bikes here in Australia were built from parts that were rescued from the scrap metal merchants, and found on rubbish tips. No one I know builds them hoping/expecting to sell for a profit. If you do it well(the rebuild) there's never been a guarantee or even a likelihood you will get your money back. When you buy a new car is lost half it's value in 3 years so that's often the way of things, generally.
Riding one is a bit of a time warp, especially the veterans which are now over 100 years old and still working. I find the back roads and go at a speed I enjoy and can avoid an animal or pushbike if it shows up easily. I've had my days when speed was king, and if the truth be known I'm lucky to be able to talk about it considering the risks I took. I don't think bikes will become worthless and be scrapped. Enough people will pay some money just to hang them on the wall of their den. Some of the better ones are a work of ART you know, and some are a disgrace to their manufacturers, but they are ALL interesting for the right people to appreciate. You can still buy a bike cheaper than a membership of some Golf clubs, and it's always something to show for your money, IF you know how to care for it. Quite a skill/ art in it's own right. Nev

fpassmore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby fpassmore » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:01 pm

I am sure I am not the only person who has nurtured a few younger riders along the way. Sold one smaller bike I knew I was not going to get to for a very nominal cost to a father so he could rebuild with his son, great idea I say. I have one of my grandchildren interested but he is only 7 and his mother will have to be won over I am afraid, quite a daunting task. I will get there in the end.
I have rebuilt two motorcycles these past two years with the help of a young interested rider and her father then gave her the first one when we were done and her dad and I have another bigger bike planned for this coming riding season. Okay these are not big ticket bikes but she is just starting out and needs to start somewhere. She lusts after a couple of my very expensive bikes that she cannot afford but so desperately wants to ride, and here is where I see the dilemma you mention Mike, I want to see someone interested rewarded and because I can afford it will probably gift her one of those she so desires like the Triumph Daytona Twin.
There is a local member of the Classic Club that is "only about the value" of his collection and would not imagine letting something go to keep the hobby and interest going and that I think is sad.
I was lucky enough to get something pried from the grip of a Vincent owner lately, have established a good relationship and now I have brokered a deal for something quite exceptional for a good price to another younger enthusiast.

I certainly hope I am not the only one doing things like this to help younger interested riders.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 pm

I've trying to get my nephew to sell his modern junk and buy classic. If he had the money I think he would he loves my bikes more than his own. I agree we need to encourage as much young people as possible. That way the club will continue long past us all.

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:57 pm

I agree with your comment, we need to encourage the Young ones. Not just the bikes but the tools we have built up over the years.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”