A chat today was amusing

Bikes or not. Whatever
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: A chat today was amusing

Postby robjameson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Mike.Morgan wrote:As a younger member of the club (in my mid thirties) I see this as a cycle which will bring about the end of the club and most classic British bikes on the road.
1.People hold onto their bikes for too long, hoping the value will increase as much as possible as they become more of an asset than a bike to ride.
2.As values increase, younger riders can not afford to pay the prices being asked, therefore not using, riding and gaining the technical knowledge needed to maintain these bikes.
3.The experienced owners who have the expertise needed fall of their perch, taking their knowledge with them.
4. Younger riders struggle to keep their bikes running without these experts to refer to.
5. The market becomes flooded with bikes from the increasing number of deceased collectors and disgruntled younger riders unable to keep their bikes on the road.
6. Bikes become worthless and are eventually scrapped.

I quite agree Mike, aside from you saying you are in your mid thirties! Late thirties Mr Morgan, stop kidding yourself!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

Mike.Morgan

Postby Mike.Morgan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Closer to 35 than 40 just! :p

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 am

On such matters of thinking I always believe to look back at history, what ever happened to the Greek and Roman chariteers
"Veterans and Vintage Chariots Association", I do not see many of them around today.
Will our chariots suffer the same fate, even if we pass them on to others ?

Regards,
John P.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”