Registration info

Bikes or not. Whatever
Alan Gough

Registration info

Postby Alan Gough » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Can anyone give me info on original registration for Arrow super sports Frame and engine match asT31495G plate was 101NE but this has been transfered at some time to a BMW car any help or info appreciated

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Registration info

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Alan:
Not quite sure what registration info you've actually got for the bike - is it just an old reg. plate with 101NE on it?
On it's own that wouldn't be enough to get the machine registered with the number, I think you'd need some documentation showing the frame number and the reg no. together - or the machine details would need to be on the DVLA system and if they were I don't think they'd have re-issued the number to a BMW. I suspect your Arrow was already off the road at the time it's details would have been needed to be put into the DVLA computerisation.
I'm no expert on the old registration number allocations - some people seem to be able to work out the date windows to within a few months as well as the local areas - but I think NE with a preceding number might have been issued by Manchester in the 1960s. You might have a chance of finding the original details if the local archives have included the motor cycle new registration records for the period from the old local authority sources - if they do exist it would be very interesting to see what the DVLA make of having two vehicle identities on the same registration number in these circumstances!
The only place I've found with a record of what archives are where is here:
http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales
If you can get the dispatch details by asking for machine dating details (AOMCC, Drags or VMCC can supply those I think) you'd be able to confirm where the machine was originally supplied to.
There was a similar case on the forum a while back with a 'barn find' Leader that had a registration plate and I think also tax discs but no actual registration docs, that ended up having to get an age-related registration (on a different number) and you might well have to do the same.

HTH

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Alan Gough

Postby Alan Gough » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 am

Thanks for that I have seen answers to the same question answered by someone in the club but not sure who to contact. I found out about the plate being on a BMW via GOV DOT uk check if a vehicle is taxed and that is what comes up I assumed the the frame and engine numbers matching would be enough to identify and date it. Regards Alan

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

If the old registration number of your bike is now on a BMW, a previous owner has sold the number. Your chances of getting it back are nil. What you can get is an age -related number but a suitable number should have been allocated to the bike when the original was sold off. If you don't have any information on this, write to DVLA mentioning the original registration number and your engine and frame number and they may well send you a V5C.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 am

Definitely on a silver BMW, and as Paul says no chance of getting it back. Some yuppie paid a fortune just to have his initials on his car.

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 am

I agree with what Paul says try first,you may be lucky. This happened a lot in the eighties, there were some shifty dealers around then. I had a Sunbeam 1929 that had been in an accident in 1932 and ni on destroyed this was in Birkenhead outside Cammel lairds ship yard,the bike was left at the scene and removed to the rear of the property,nobody collected it until it was taken for scrap in the seventies,I bought it in the ninties along with a pile of other junk,the number was a local reg no, when I was near finishing it I applied for the number only to be told it had gone, hard luck was dvla,s attitude,that pissed me off,so I said there was no way that this could have been done legally and made a lot of noise and threats because I had proof to confirm everything about the bike,I had been in touch with the family an they told me the story about it,and showed me photos of the bike and the dude who died on it, Dvla then agreed that it may have been done illegally but could no do anything about it as the number had gone,they did however give me a 2 letter 4 number non transferable number,I was not happy with that as the value of the original number at the time was around £4000 eventually they did give me the number they offered me in the first place but as a transferable number not ideal but better than nothing,I have had this twice with them but they don't appear to want to much bad publicity they try and bullie you into submission,if you don't let them they are usually ok in the end.Dont give in to the buggers make as much noise and go down fighting,they usually are ok in the end,you are dealing with a government body and anybody who has dealt with these in the past you will think its easier to give up,DONT.Good luck.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 pm

paul.jameson wrote:... a suitable number should have been allocated to the bike when the original was sold off.

I'm not sure that would hold if the bike's details had never been put on the DVLA system after things were computerised.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi, There are some other copies of the works dispatch books around -- try the Yahoo arrowandleaders group or there is also a group on face book.

Using the frame/engine number they can tell you which dealer the bike was dispatched to the date and what extras were included.

Brian H.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”