Man and sloper come a cropper.

Bikes or not. Whatever
dave.pitt

Man and sloper come a cropper.

Postby dave.pitt » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Wali Taylor posted something on Facebook...
Anyone know who the poor blighter who has come to grief riding a sloper in Hertfordshire is? Described in the paper as "a 68 year old man, riding his vintage motorcycle..."
He's critical in the George Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. 'Spirit of Ariel' for a full and hasty recovery, whoever you are.
Dave Pitt
(AOMCC Exec Committee & Selly Oak branch rep)
'47VB, '51KH, '58FH, '05 BMW oilhead boxer.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Man and sloper come a cropper.

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 pm

As per Leslie Ore's earlier post here
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9486

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 am

The picture in the paper is a library photo - not the actual bike so no clues there (I had a search through the 2019 Sloper Calendar before seeing that small print :roll: ).

Someone must know. Best wishes for a full recovery whoever you are.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Dave.Thomas
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Dave.Thomas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Wondered if the library photo bit was correct, seems a needle in a haystack to find another image of a damaged sloper ? Either way, I wish him a speedy recovery whoever he is, sounds a very nasty one.

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Any crash when you re 68 is a nasty one.

chris-diamond

Postby chris-diamond » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Many thanks for your good wishes, i have just been released from John Radcliffe, a brilliant hospital. On Saturday 1st June i was on my way to meet the VMCC Chiltern section boys to go on a girder fork run, sadly for me i didn't make it. I was doing about 45mph along the A413 in Gerrards Cross the bike was running like clockwork as usual, out of the blue i was thrown from the bike, the results were; i had all my ribs except 1 broken on the left, also my collarbone, my lung was also punctured, my left eyelid and brow needed 15 stitches, the left ankle bone was ground down and needed rebuilding and a skin graft, also my left hand was down to the tendons and also needed a skin graft. I am home now with my leg in a cast and trying not to cough due to the broken ribs, as i was initially in a critical condition, with the possibility of it becoming a fatality the police did a full investigation, photos, measurements etc, and concluded it was the fault of a pot hole, which was repaired straight away. I am really really kicking myself, because if i am riding my old classics or my Triumph speed triple my eyes are constantly scanning the road for pot holes and deep drains etc, this one i missed! I go back to hospital tomorrow to get my plastic surgery checked and hoping to get to see the bike as soon as i am mobile. I am unable to get the bike back until the police have concluded their enquiry and removed the witness appeal signs. Dave Thomas is correct, it is actually a picture of my bike, OFO 805 it was on the Ariel stand at Stafford in 2017, I am praying that the tank is not damaged and looking forward to riding it again. I have learnt two things, to be even more vigilant on pot holes and obstacles and that old people don't bounce very well! Thanks again for your good wishes, Chris Diamond.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:31 pm

Great to hear you are up and about!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for letting us know your on the mend Chris. I've seen a few really big pot holes recently, they have suddenly become even more frightening after reading your experience.

Steve

paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby paul_turner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Glad to hear you are on the mend Chris, you are right about the John Radcliffe, took very good care of my grand daughter. I'm sure you will have the sloper back to scratch when you are up to it, in the meantime you still have the best blue mk2 out there bar none! best wishes Paul T.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and hope you make a full recovery and get back on the bikes.

From (thankfully limited) experience, the priorities after an 'off' are:

1. Rush to the bike.
2. look for your passenger.
3. Eventually think about yourself.

:lol:

Chin up - and keep posting on here, we'd like to hear how you (and the bike, of course) are getting on ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Return to “Main Chat Forum”