What tube sealant are you using?

Bikes or not. Whatever
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

What tube sealant are you using?

Postby robjameson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:53 pm

For years I have used ‘slime’ in my inner tubes, without any issues to speak of until recently.

I have had, on two occasions, the slime attempt to seal up the schraeder valve and have lost tyre pressure as a result (the most recent case being a completely flat tyre).

So, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good tyre sealant/protector?
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)
2016 Honda CBR600RR

roger.fellows

Re: What tube sealant are you using?

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 pm

I suppose if the valve starts to leak the slime thinks it has a job to do???

alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Rob
I have used it in the past but now just carry a canister of sealant for punctures.

Odd that it is only now you are having issues, how long has the sealant been in?

I think 'Slime' say that the sealant has a 2 year life span after being put in a tube, which would mean a tube change every 2 years :o (which is why I don't use it anymore) I assume that eventually it starts to get some partially 'cured' bits' and maybe it is then possible for of these 'bits' to stop the valve seating when you check the pressure. In normal use if you make sure the valve is uppermost when you check / inflate then there should be no issues

I know this last para does not answer your question but it is always a good idea to fit a decent valve cap, one with a rubber seal inside (not one of the cheap plastic only types) as this provides a second line of sealing should the valve start to leak slightly.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

robjameson

Postby robjameson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 pm

roger.fellows wrote:I suppose if the valve starts to leak the slime thinks it has a job to do???

From inspecting the valves, it looks like slime is semi curing and blocking the valve when I check tyre pressures - something I do very regularly.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
2016 Honda CBR600RR

robjameson

Postby robjameson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm

alan.moore wrote:Rob
I have used it in the past but now just carry a canister of sealant for punctures.

Odd that it is only now you are having issues, how long has the sealant been in?

I think 'Slime' say that the sealant has a 2 year life span after being put in a tube, which would mean a tube change every 2 years :o (which is why I don't use it anymore) I assume that eventually it starts to get some partially 'cured' bits' and maybe it is then possible for of these 'bits' to stop the valve seating when you check the pressure. In normal use if you make sure the valve is uppermost when you check / inflate then there should be no issues

I know this last para does not answer your question but it is always a good idea to fit a decent valve cap, one with a rubber seal inside (not one of the cheap plastic only types) as this provides a second line of sealing should the valve start to leak slightly.

Cheers
Alan

I use Michelin tubes with good caps. My recent failures have been on almost new tubes, so I wonder if perhaps they have changed the formula? I know many other brands changed formulas made them much worse; hammerite, nitromors...
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
2016 Honda CBR600RR

robjameson

Postby robjameson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm

I think the answer may be to do as suggested Alan and carry some sealant with me in case of puncture.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
2016 Honda CBR600RR

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:19 am

I don't think it's legal in Australia. I don't like the idea of leaving it in there for long periods. I've had such tyres (tubes) fail in a big way without warning. Nev

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 am

What sealant for repairing punctures would you recommend ie the type of sealant that you carry with you, would it be the type that seals and inflates.
I have never used them before therefore my knowledge is very limited.

Regards,
John P.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”