Ariel twin

Bikes or not. Whatever
jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Ariel twin

Postby jj.palmer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Should have mentioned it, if you attempt this mod. make sure that you check the sectional thickness's, one method is to make a section caliper out of a piece of sheet steel, see attached.

John P.
Attachments
Section calipers for cylinder.jpg

Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Leejm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Cheers Simon that's brilliant!
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Thank you Roy and jj. What a great forum this is!

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul Slootheer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Lee, overhere in Holland spares are not that easy to get compared to a single or a square... However Draganfly do have some. A while ago I was lucky enough to find a pair of NOS conrods on ebay. I never came across a complete engine. You can use Triumph 500 pre-unit pistons if you cannot find Ariel ones. Through the years there where engine wise quite some differences, which will mean not all the parts are interchangeable. Beware of pre 1950 crank cases without a timing cover, the later timing cover will not fit! Early engines do have a lighter fly wheel on the crankshaft, but they all fit trough the years. etc. etc.

Good luck Lee!! :D

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 pm

On the bright side I have been offered a 51 engine! So that's no problem. The bike may be a long project to collect all the other bits. But I'm in no rush to do this one, still got to take care of the wife so that comes first. But it sounds like I can get all the major stuff together.

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 pm

Paul, the early timing covers don't fit later eninges. As the early timing cover said ariel twin. Later just twin. Theses two are not interchangeable or covers with just twin on they are two different ones?

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Lee, 1948-1949 covers have Ariel Twin inscription 1950 onwards only “twin”. The thing is the holes for the bolts in the dynamo area are on a different place!

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 am

Ive noticed the fuel tanks and oil tanks are quite common on ebay......and at swaps,as Ariel stuff goes...ie not plentiful.........in fact my VG has a twin fuel tank and oil tank,the fuel tank has the largest capacity of the tanks that fit a rigid(4gal),and the oil tank is set well back to allow a decent aircleaner to be fitted.......No excuse here,because when I put the bike together ,I could have used whatever parts I wanted.......I have always disliked panel tanks,intensely.,and wanted a simple rally bike that wouldnt matter too much if it fell over,or was nicked......and had enough fuel to last a run without buying petrol at some awful country shop,where rust ,water ,and sand were common in fuel......

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:23 am

Back to the subject of twins,the early ones had a reputation for terrible vibration......and as mentioned here,a heavier flywheel and crank were fitted in the following years.....always a bad sign ........there is also a difference in the generator and maggie drive gears.....and different tooth materials too.......to cure stripped teeth,evidently........

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 am

Mine was a bit of a shaker when I rode it a few Kms years ago, but nice otherwise. People rebalance them and they are OK. 500cc vertical twins are usually not too shakey. When they get bigger they are . Like the commando's 850 set in rubber mounts because you have to. Nev

Return to “Main Chat Forum”