Black Ariel & sidecar?

Bikes or not. Whatever
adrian.hannam

Re: Black Ariel & sidecar?

Postby adrian.hannam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:30 am

I am not an authority. However, I recently put a sidecar on an Ariel which was already registered in Queensland. I would describe the roadworthyness test as "self assessed" in my instance. These are the rules:

1. Sidecars which bolt directly to the motorcycle’s frame without the need for any modifications to the motorcycles are acceptable without specific approval.

2. Sidecars which require the motorcycle to be modified (for example, welding to the frame) must be approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Before modifying your motorcycles so that a sidecar can be attached, you should engage the services of an Approved Person Engineer, who can submit an application on your behalf.

3. For motorcycles less than 30 years old, a sidecar, when attached, must be fitted to the left-hand side of the motorcycle

4. The motorcycle and sidecar combination must be less than 1.86m in overall width.

5. A motorcycle manufactured after February 1976 fitted with a sidecar must have a mechanical parking brake.

6. A sidecar must be fitted with a parking light within 150mm from the side of the sidecar that is furthest from the motorcycle.

7. A mudguard must be fitted to the sidecar wheel.

I think the intent of the rules is for production sidecars and I daresay there are design rules if you are actually building a sidecar frame and body.
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:40 am

Having looked at some "modern Fittings" I concur with all of that. Some frames are really thin section tube and we could anticipate some problems with time and possible cracking (in my view) Some later bikes are also quite top heavy. Centre of gravity too high. All the ones I have done to date are pre war (1945.) The pre and post 48 treatment seems to be a reasonable situation Some brit bikes that use the engine as a stressed member might be a bit suss if the way it's ridden is a bit rough, though plenty of Jap stuff just hook the swinging arm to the rear of the gearbox A Norton ES2 would be better than the model 18 for length and frame strength but you could use both if you had no choice.. If you are going to fit a chair be prepared to have some of the sporting capabilities curtailed and the engine get a bit more stressed and hotter.. You need less ground clearance and wider tyres if there's an option and reduce your gearing by about 15% depending on the weight and drag of the design. You can put a bigger battery in the boot of the chair It might help to keep it down when there's no one in it but generally you do need some weight there to go around left hand corners. Nev

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:30 am

Hi Ian,
I think Dave T would be on the money re performance at 40 to 45 mph.
I'm not sure of the 31, but my 27 frame is pretty light. An equivalent light sidecar would be the best option.
The early front brake is not good. I have 'vivid' memories of the bike loaded with gear coming to a roundabout and me making eye contact with an oncoming car, signalling I could not stop.
You might consider sacrificing some originality to adapt a later cast front brake or similar.
As Nev points out, sidecars were once a universal transport. For a passenger, they are warmer, cut out a fair bit of wind and wet and better for conversation than a pillion seat. They are also better for carrying beer, luggage and tools.
Make sure someone is filming when you go on your first ride..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby paul.wirdnam » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:52 am

When I bought my unrestored 1930 Model B in the mid 1980s, it came with the original 3-point Ariel sidecar chassis. I built an ash-based body for it in the hope that my young family would come on runs with me....but my wife and kids never really showed any interest, so it didn't get used much and I eventually sold it to Ben Mitchell / Klaus Gerhard.

ariel_modelb_9.jpg

ariel_modelb_8.jpg
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am

Im not keen riding in sidecars either.......in fact I wont............even as a lad,I rode on the pillion and mother and brother went in the sidecar......And thats a long time ago,cause the old man bought a car in 1957,and that was the end of bikes for him.....It was a matter of moving up in the world,no nostalgia in those days.

Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Richard Kal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 am

My Dad decided to fit a sidecar to his Flash.
Here we are, pic taken minutes before the maiden voyage. I am the tallest of the children wearing the top with a red "V". My brother Stephen joined me for the ride.

Shortly after, whilst we were charging forward, raising dust on a corrugated gravel road in the outback of Western Australia, sidecar and A10 went their separate ways! Stephen and I clung on in terror as our missile skewered off the road sliding between saltbush and large salmon gum trees1

Dad came back for us; we all clambered onto the BSA and he took us back to the homestead.

What a ride! my first and last in a sidecar!.

The "torpedo" lay in the bush by the side of the rode for many years thereafter!

Richard
Attachments
BSA & sidecar 2.JPG
BSA with sidecar 1.JPG

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 am

Richard,
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Made me chuckle!
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Richard Kal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:20 am

Postcript:
The same bike, and the same "boy", circa 2018.

And my father on it, fresh from the BSA dealer (Jack Johnston in Kalgoorlie), in 1951.
Attachments
Dad on new Gold Flash 001.jpg
P1030549.JPG
P1030565.JPG

Ian.Taylor

Postby Ian.Taylor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:41 pm

To be honest, I enjoy the VF solo..lol haven't heard back from the gent so maybe the ol gal will still be solo.
I have admit paul.wirdnam old Ariel & sidecar looks nice.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”