lessons for a first build

Bikes or not. Whatever
derekmalcolm

lessons for a first build

Postby derekmalcolm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Having bought a 58 NH basket case as my introduction to Ariel motor cycles the build has gone reasonable well until i tried to fit the outer primary chain case at which point the engine refused to turn over. Having now repeatedly stripped the clutch introduced additional spaces, assembling it with and without the chain etc, all to try to find out what was binding. Finally I convinced myself that it was the length of the spacer on the crank, only for a friend to suggested "you have got the chain wheel on the right way round?"

Ohhhhh! did i feel foolish when reversing it the problem disappeared. so whilst it has delayed me for a couple of weeks I now have a bike that is ready to be timed and then !!!!!!!!

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: lessons for a first build

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:55 pm

Congratulations on joining the group of us who have made many errors in assembling Ariels over the years. If you have only made this one error, you have a very long way to go in catching up the veterans on this Forum who have tens, if not hundreds, of errors under their belts!!
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”