1930 cam profiles.

Bikes or not. Whatever
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1930 cam profiles.

Postby brenton.roy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 pm

In the club library - There's a factory document with opening and closing values for most of the standard cams and in the 1930 owners guide - same info. There isn't my factory data (that I know of) for lift - the profile. David Anderson and I have measured a number of cams and have shared this with Franklins and I understand there Joy cams in the UK that have standard and special profiles, such as the Hartley cams.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:26 am

The A6/664 cams are are readily available second hand. It was the early red hunter cam and was subsequently used in the sidevalve after a recommendation by Hartley. The A6/664 will not perform quite as well as the later red hunter cam the A7/642. The A6/664 should be a considerable improvement in the Black Ariel over the model F cam.
Franklin may have hot grinds for the A6/664 as I had a very hot A6/664 refurbished by them. At .050 lift the valve timing of the A6/664 is -7 49 44 -6 (note minus figures) the cam that they refurbished for me has a valve timing of 24 72 68 29 also measured at .050 lift. The valve timings previously posted by Brenton are at .010 lift. Franklin also currently have an original HS follower of mine that they have used as a template for another forum member so they will be able to provide HS follower grinds from now on. I also provided Franklin with lift tables for most Ariel cams some time ago.
And as stated by Charles there are distinct similarities between Ariel and BSA profiles.
David

Michael Will

Postby Michael Will » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 am

Cheers for this information, I have decided to do the exchange with Draganfly. This seems to be a better option, I do have another cam that I may send to Franklin's later on. I will wait on the price of Draganfly's price before committing to another cam rebuild.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:54 pm

The twin port head will not work as well as a single port one does with "wilder" cams. It's a styling exercise rather than a performance one. They run a big base dia cam with the sidevalve type adjusters and all that is extra weight mitigating against the wild cams as well. The better of the two cams is the go. They will do over 80 MPH out of the box and the F model is slightly better. Some of this is due to their light weight compared to the later post war models . Nev

Michael Will

Postby Michael Will » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 am

Cheers Nev.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”