Which Bronze to use ?

Bikes or not. Whatever
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Which Bronze to use ?

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:15 am

cmfalco wrote:
Bob.Murphy wrote: In any case, the only way you'll know if you succeeded is after you've made the nut and disassembled the lathe to test its fit on the shaft. Given this, something to think about is buying a tap that would give the tightest fit (i.e. having the class of fit giving the smallest ID), making the nut, disassembling the lathe, and testing it. If it gives an acceptable fit, great. However, if the nut you just made is too tight it now is a no-go gauge, and if too loose you can use it to judge how much smaller it needed to be. Then reassemble the lathe and make the next nut with an indexable threading bar using the information obtained from the first nut.

Fortunately I don't need to keep assembling the lathe in order to make the parts:

DSCN8970.jpg

DSCN8972.jpg

Having two lathes is a bit of a luxury but on the Denford I can 'dial-up' 48 imperial threads (4 TPI to 224 TPI :shock: ) whereas on the Warco I have to spend an hour assembling some rather ropey Change Wheels. It can do both Metric and Imperial which is a boon.

If I can make an adjustable tool holder for internal boring I'll be "Sneaking up" on the size - trying it as I go.

The idea of an ' adjustable split nut' is a good one. I'll seriously consider that.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm

One of the US makers,maybe Reed and Prentice,used a babbit nut cast around the screw.,and Ive redone milling machine feed nuts this way on old machines......a roundtop Triumph with the "safety saddle" would be one of my favorite lathes.

cmfalco
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby cmfalco » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Bob.Murphy wrote: Having two lathes is a bit of a luxury...
A person can't have too many lathes. The bush for the back gear on my used lathe was worn out when I bought the machine some years ago and had I not had access to a second lathe to make a new bush I would have been in trouble since it also required machining, checking the fit to the spindle, machining some more,... In the years since then I added a Sunnen hone to my tooling so that would now give me an alternative if I faced this problem again.

Eero.Korhonen

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:56 am

cmfalco wrote:
Bob.Murphy wrote: Having two lathes is a bit of a luxury...
A person can't have too many lathes. The bush for the back gear on my used lathe was worn out when I bought the machine some years ago and had I not had access to a second lathe to make a new bush I would have been in trouble since it also required machining, checking the fit to the spindle, machining some more,... In the years since then I added a Sunnen hone to my tooling so that would now give me an alternative if I faced this problem again.

I agree with that and couple of milling machines as well!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 am

Everything takes up space though. I have two and one's quite big.I was miles from machine shops once and just couldn't justify the large travel time. The big ones needed when you have a big sized job which is only about 1/8th of the time now., The smaller one's showing signs of wear even though it gets well cared for. All the numbers for the settings for feeds and screw cutting have worn off. Worth virtually nothing second hand. The tooling is what costs big money with Milling machines. Nev

Mark Nazer

Postby Mark Nazer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am

I’ve only got a small model engineers lathe; I would love a full size lathe, but that would require me to lose a bike due to shortage of storage space :lol:
Enjoy old age, you didn’t die young!

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 am

Eero.Korhonen wrote: I agree with that and couple of milling machines as well! Br, Eero

The more the better :lol: . I only have one Milling Machine though (hiding behind the 170A AC/DC TIG Welder) :( .

DSCN8974.jpg

However, I am seriously considering a rather nice Colchester Triumph lathe (50" between centres). The problem is in convincing my wife that three lathes and disruption while I install a three-phase power supply is 'OK' :roll: .

Reminding her that the price is equal to five months horse costs doesn't seem to work :? .

The Denford Lathe would have to go - to make room.

Decisions . . Decisions . .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

cmfalco
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby cmfalco » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:33 pm

nevhunter wrote:Everything takes up space though. I have two and one's quite big.
I have two lathes in the space of one. The smaller one has an 11" (diameter) swing, but I have a rare attachment for it that sits on the ways and turns it into a 15" lathe, albeit reducing the length of the bed. I've only needed the 15" a few times, but there's no substitute for swing when you need to turn something large.
Bob.Murphy wrote:(hiding behind the 170A AC/DC TIG Welder)
The principle with lathes is that, no matter how large it is, there will be times you will want something larger. The same principle applies to welders. I have a 200A TIG and have had it on the max. setting enough times on my motorcycle projects that I wouldn't want anything smaller. I switch to a second tank of 50/50 He/Ar when I'm welding something like a lifting bracket from 1/4" Al and the He in the mix makes all the difference, adding enough extra "hp" to the arc to weld thick Al brackets without problem that pure Ar will barely puddle.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:11 pm

cmfalco wrote: I have a 200A TIG and have had it on the max. setting enough times on my motorcycle projects that I wouldn't want anything smaller. I switch to a second tank of 50/50 He/Ar when I'm welding something like a lifting bracket from 1/4" Al and the He in the mix makes all the difference, adding enough extra "hp" to the arc to weld thick Al brackets without problem that pure Ar will barely puddle.

Yes, I wish I'd bought the 'R-Tech' 200A TIG (all functions are individually adjustable, whereas on the 170 one has to step through the menu - which is a bit of a pain). The main reason I chose the 170 is that it was the largest they made that could run from a domestic 13A three-pin plug. The 200A needs a 16A supply (which I have, but thought it would be less versatile). Bad move :oops: .

I also have an old 150A MIG which is OK but I could use more adjustment. Mine (A SIP Migmate 150) has three 2-position switches for the settings, which doesn't give fine control.

I also have a very old Italian MMA (stick) welder that gets dragged out occasionally.

For shielding gas I have three bottles - one is BOC 'Argoshield' (Co2 & Argon) and the others are Hobbyweld pure Argon. British Oxygen Co. (BOC) charge an annual rental on their cylinder which is quite extortionate (more than a refill) and it will be going back when its empty.

Damn . . I keep looking at that Colchester Lathe . . . :roll: .

Bob.

cmfalco
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby cmfalco » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Bob.Murphy wrote: British Oxygen Co. (BOC) charge an annual rental on their cylinder which is quite extortionate
We're lucky in the U.S. in that some time between the 1970s when you couldn't, and the 2000s when you could, a law must have passed that now allows us to buy, rather than rent, bottles. The last bottle I bought was the 50/50 He/Ar mix. I don't remember what I had to pay for the bottle itself but it wasn't high enough to be memorable. For a period of several years earlier this decade the shortage of He was severe enough that the companies would only supply it to their biggest customers (of which I am not one). The He situation has improved so if/when I run out I'll be able to get the bottle refilled.

I don't know how I could manage without my TIG. I had to fabricate my own pushrods for my 1928 Ariel and needed TIG to apply Stellite to the ends, and wear on one of the rockers required it to be faced with Stellite as well. A bespoke Al fixture in the shape of a giant 'C' let me lift the engine from the frame with an engine hoist and return it there by myself without any drama or back strain. Lathes and mills are indispensable for removing metal, but sometimes you have to add metal, and for that an AC/DC TIG welder is hard to beat.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”