degreaser

Bikes or not. Whatever
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

degreaser

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:00 pm

HI Has anyone used Gunk ultra engine degreaser it says it for ultimate cleaning performance powerful and effective cleaner and degreaser i have had parts in it for 3 weeks and it not done not a thing its just like useing washing up soap its no good for cleaning old parts but it ok for cleaning your hands :lol: :lol: i have had the old type gunk in my cleaning tank its over 25 years old and its still works well i got the gunk ultra to change the cleaner in the tank but i will not waste my time just use it to clean my hands it the the worst cleaner i have had

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: degreaser

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:12 pm

I used the new 'PC' Gunk some years ago - both in aerosol & liquid form; it was useless. Many years ago my (now late) parents came to stay, bringing with them a box of 'stuff' that I had left in a cupboard when I moved to Scotland in 1972 . . . There was a tin of 'original' gunk there. I still have it, it looks like liquid tar, smells like 'Gunk' and probably works. Its the way of the world with 'Health & Safety' deciding that the Plebs can't be trusted with stuff unless accompanied by a man in a high-viz jacket carrying a clipboard.

Try buying paint stripper that works . . That's gone the same way.

And oil-based exterior gloss paint that needs white spirit for washing the brushes.

For de-greasing engines, gearboxes, chassis and anything (apart from Aluminium) really I use 'Ubik 2000'. It will take the skin off your hands as its quite caustic but it works! A local Engineering Works was banned from using it by the Health & Safety Police - so it must be good :lol: .

It will dissolve Alloy, so use it with care and wear gloves ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:04 am

I had a look at the regulations banning the use of dichloromethane (the ingredient that enabled paint stripper to actually strip paint) and I can't quite see the logic: it's banned for public or professional use but you can use it industrially as long as you know what the words 'protective gloves/goggles/clothing' and 'adequate ventilation' mean - even if you're using the stuff in great big strip tanks.
So, yet more stupid bureaucratic bollox in my opinion....

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 am

Phenol is very effective cleaner,but a bit corrosive to skin....carbolic acid ,or just carbolic,it used to be called....other things that still work in solution,preferably very hot,are sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate,sodium tri poly phosphate,and sodium hydroxide plus detergents..A lot of these chemicals are very cheap in bulk from a laundry chemicals supplier.

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:54 am

I found the same problem some time ago and stopped using it and switched to Jizer which I bought via eBay and it seems to work nearly as well.

Ian

pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pappleton » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 am

A pretty good paint stripper can be made from caustic soda mixed with wallpaper paste. Always add the soda to the already mixed paste or spitting can occour. It will get pretty hot. The paste helps it stick to vertical surfaces.
BR,
Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 am

HI Bob and all i used that new gunk ultra yesterday and all it done is made my hands lovey and soft and clean they need to rename it skin care i am thinking of useing it to put my feet in it after a hard days work am make them nice and soft like my hands :lol: :lol: i have got sum jizeri in stock give it a try if thats no good i am going to look for sun old stock gunk i remember wen brake fluid will free rusted nuts and take off paint and the old plus-gas :( :(

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 pm

When I was an apprentice mechanic in the 1960`s we had a big paraffin bath that all the workshop lads shared and each mechanic also had his own tin of "trike" (trichloroethlene ?) Brilliant for cleaning anything especially carburettor exteriors, the smell still lingers with me, but I believe it is not good for you. Still available though on the internet. However reason for my input is I still use oil based paint available as "machine enamel" - good stuff, but colours are limited to a very basic range. Try Williamsons paint and varnish works, Ripon, North Yorkshire - sure they are still operating. They also did a great metal primer called "rolling stock primer". It is lime green in colour.

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:39 pm

HI Malcolm i did use trichloroethlene but the hiviz and clip boards lot came round and stop us useing it in my workshops they must think we are all gone soft but i will get sum for my home workshop
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:40 pm

HI Malcolm i did use trichloroethlene but the hiviz and clip boards lot came round and stop us useing it in my workshops they must think we are all gone soft but i will get for my home workshop :D :D

Return to “Main Chat Forum”