Aus Black Ariel rally

Anything about Ariels
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm

jadearling wrote: It gives me inspiration and more confidence for a much smaller trip I am about to take, old but not Ariel!

Now you're teasing us Jade . . . . . Watchagot . . Watchagot . . . :?: :?: :?: :lol:

(from one who is restoring a 1931 500cc Panther that he intends to take to Sweden one day ;) ).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:03 am

Thanks blokes.
Barry, I did toss up the idea of an O ring chain, but thought that it wouldn't matter for 'normal' use. If I did this sort of thing again, I would definitely try one. The scottoiler looks good. I guess I could make up something to use the vacuum one. There is a breather outlet to the primary chain though. I put a ball bearing in it..
Re Aussie roads and such, and particularly for non coastal areas - this time of year is fairly practical. It's winter and so there's some greenery. Over summer, some of Aus. can get quite warm.
As for preparing for / doing the trip, I think the main issues on any bike trip are safety and comfort. The worst mechanical thing is that the bike comes home on the back of a truck. Generally, though, our bikes are in very good condition, parts can be couriered etc. I'd go again.
I'll be looking forward to seeing Nev and John D from our forum head 4000km North in April on their pre 1918's.. Lucky buggers.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:35 am

There is not any cut-off so far brenton. so we will take more starters We had Canadians Poms Germans. doesn't matter where from except you have to get here It has to be a veteran or "feeble" vintage. It won't be as gruelling as your run. I could not have done 400 kms each day on the Indian. It's open to cars too. It's only South to North. (the return is easier to organise transport). It's just under one year away. NOTE Veteran is up to and including 1918 here.. Nev

brenton.roy

Re: Aus Black Ariel rally

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:29 am

Hi Nev,
It would be awesome, but I don't have a pre 1918 bike!, but will buy a lottery ticket. You can never tell!
I'll get a chance to see you all off though, which will be pretty cool in itself.
As I said before, if others are thinking of a "great ride" - this might be it. I understand there is backup lathe, mill, welding gear etc traveling with the group.
The route traverses from temperate, through desert to sub tropical via opal fields, old pubs, Ayers rock, hot springs (did I mention desert), cattle grids and old WW2 installations.
By the way Nev, we did have the route elevations / and road gradient data mapped for the solar cars. If this would be useful, I'll fish around and see if I still have it or can access it.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am

Will definitely want to sit in the Mataranka Hot Springs for a while.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks for the offer, brenton More important for the solar but if it is there, why not?. I find strong winds more limiting But I will feed it into the system. A lot of preparation on a collective and individual basis goes into these things. My wife is excellent at detail and planning ahead. A real asset. Like last time I'm sure I will not have done everything I should. I took too many parts last time. Nev

jadearling

Re: Re:

Postby jadearling » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Bob.Murphy wrote:
jadearling wrote: It gives me inspiration and more confidence for a much smaller trip I am about to take, old but not Ariel!

Now you're teasing us Jade . . . . . Watchagot . . Watchagot . . . :?: :?: :?: :lol:

(from one who is restoring a 1931 500cc Panther that he intends to take to Sweden one day ;) ).

Bob.[/quote
Ah Bob, I missed your post and my little trip turned out to be much littler than intended, it's hardly worthy of mention in this thread. However, not wanting to tease... It's a 1920 GN cyclecar but with the proper 1100cc ohv, aircooled, 90 degree, overhung, vee twin, unlike my Squariel hybrid.
The trip was to attend a GN 'Jolly' where about a dozen of the cyclecars were to visit the Isle of Wight, the elderly owner wanted me to take her round the island in it but having heard that nearly all of the others are trailered to the ferry I felt that we ought to drive all the way down, just to show spirit and to prove a point. Need I add more?
I hadn't yet succeeded in getting more than 20 miles without a minor breakdown but sometimes my optimism far outreaches my experience. Having woken all my neighbours on my early departure (the series of barely silenced explosions that drown out the mechanical shrieks and groans of the engine are not to everyones taste!) I set off.
The first actual forced halt was on a roundabout not quite 20 miles away but by getting out and pushing it to the downhill exit I could get clear of the roundabout but I realised that I hadn't thought the manouvre through and as it gained speed I had to run ever faster as the car has no doors and the side proved rather too high for my geriatric athletism while running, well nearly, I did manage in the end but I am glad that there were no cameras. An hour later I was cheerfully on the road again thinking how fine all this was and enjoying the appreciation, or surprise of other road users when the GN stopped while climbing a gentle hill. There was no compression to be found. I stripped the heads off and saw that both pistons had seized, I removed the cylinders hoping that it was recoverable but it became obvious that I wasn't going to get to the owner or the ferry and would have to trailer it home.
There was great interest shown by passing hikers and tourists and even a holdaying Aussie (which reconnects somehow with this thread) and it is clear that people don't expect to see you stripping an engine down sitting in the grass verge by a country road but in days of old I am sure this was far from unusual.
Neither defeated nor deflated I am up to my elbows in oily bits again and hoping to get it running before I get stuck into KN IV's carburetion and clutch sorting for the next hillclimb at Loton Park.
My apologies for bringing knowledge of this nonsense into a thread concering a much more intelligent and challenging journey, I really was filled with respect and admiration reading it. One day, maybe...
Jade

Bob.Murphy

Re: Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 am

jadearling wrote: It is clear that people don't expect to see you stripping an engine down sitting in the grass verge by a country road but in days of old I am sure this was far from unusual.
Jade

When I first starting riding powered two-wheelers I had a 'Capri 80' scooter ( :shock: ). This had a little unit construction 3-speed Garelli motor with chain drive.

One weekend - possibly in 1966 or 67 - I went to stay with a pal in Newbury (from the Taunton area). On the way home the bike conked out with a whiskered plug - but I couldn't free the plug with my small plug spanner, it was siezed.

I pushed it to a garage where the owner looked at it and said that he COULD get the plug out, but he would probably strip the threads in the head, so he declined.

It was getting dark, I was still a long way from home and I had no money (some things never change). I stripped the scoot down, removed the cylinder head, cleaned the plug from the inside and put it all back together.

It got me home :lol: .

Next day I got the plug out intact and thereafter made sure that plugs were lubricated.

As you say - this sort of thing was not uncommon back then.

I could go on . . . But I've hijacked this thread enough ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Return to “Ariel Talk”