4G Conrod Advice

Singles, twins and fours.
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

4G Conrod Advice

Postby paul.wirdnam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 am

I've started restoring my '39 4G engine (viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7151) and I'm at the point where I have to make a decision about the big ends and conrods. Here is what I think I know:

1) All my conrods, including my spare ones, are white metal ones and look to be in good condition
2) The bigend journals on the cranks look nice, shiny and are std size but are oval
3) I've read the AOMCC info sheet on their replacement shell-based conrods and, if I understand correctly, these can be used as a direct replacement for the white metal conrods on the 4G engine.

So the decision I'm trying to make is whether to stick with the original conrods and have them re-metalled or go with the new club ones....either way, I still have to have the journals reground. Cost might be a factor, especially as I probably wont ride this bike much (I'm going through a "singles are best" phase). I'll probably use Saunders to do the work as I know they do white metalling and they can also repair the thread on the end of the drive shaft at the same time. I'll phone them tomorrow and get a ball park quote.

Views? Comments? Please....
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

chris.shearwood