My latest project

Ivor Collins
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 am
Location: Leighton Buzzard ish
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby Ivor Collins » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

That chaincase looks pretty good and just like the real thing, I’d like to have a bash myself.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ivor

trevor.fleming
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby trevor.fleming » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Yes the chaincase looks the job. Would like to make one also. Any hints drawings etc

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Painted up the forks & mainframe a few days ago in the back garden. & today managed to 'marry' the engine & frame, the front forks were on the heavy side so I oiked them up into place with the crane, & then the rear forks took a bit of 'persuading' with a hide mallet! Easier to remove than replace!!
Also, I feel my home-made front stand is too long, but an easy fix once the wheel is on & I can work out a better length.
Attachments
Marriage-1.jpg

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Now my home made lower chain case, attempt No3 will be required as it needs about another 20mm added to the front lower to be able to fit over the rear opening, the 'hump' around the fork leg is a bit out as well ( too low ).

Ho-hum, here we go again!!
Attachments
chainguard-5.jpg

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby TonyBaxter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am

Great work :-)

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Gentlemen, I have created a problem for myself & need your help!!
When I stripped out the coils etc from the 'innards', I never gave much thought to refitting, ( undid all the screws & pulled it all by the wiring ) now I find that I cant get my hands in through that titchy little access hole, am I missing the bleeding obvious, or is there a stupidly easy way that Mr thickko here has missed??
Pics so far.
Attachments
Stage-1.jpg
Stage-2.jpg

User avatar
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:32 pm
Location: Kirkliston, on the West side of Edinburgh.
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Yes - you need a slinky little Geisha Girl to do it for you ( :shock: ).

I remember that problem when a 'friend' dumped a clapped-out old Leader at my parents' house for me to fix :lol: .

I believe its a well-known problem (not that knowing that helps).

Bob.
(No help at all - but Happy New Year)
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Sorted, I realize that there's no-way my hand is going through that silly little access hole so I did a bit of 'lateral-thinking', got the biggest long series allen hex wrench that would fit in the HT socket of the coil, lowered both coils into the cavity, then holding the long part of the wrench from outside,
I put the short part of the wrench into the coil-socket, then holding the long part of the wrench allowed me to lift & 'jiggle' then hold the coils into position from the outside whilst I fitted the screws.
The terminals etc are near to the hole so they can be connected via long nose pliers. :D

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Got a lot done today, as a few days ago I managed to strip back the tub to bare metal & acid-etch, then chucked on several coats of 2 pack primer filler, guide-coated it this morning & rubbed it all down, then managed to whack on the 1st base coat of 2 pack colour, just requires another rub down ready for finishing topcoat.
Attachments
1st-coat.jpg

lawriewhite
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am

My '62' Leader didn't have a carb air-tube, & I know that they're available, but at over £30.00 I thought a bit pricey for a little bit of rubber, so since I already have stuff at hand, I thought I'd have a go at making one, if unsuccessful, THEN i'd buy one!!
Had a measure-up, drew it up on 3d cad, then 3d printed it in flexy-rubber, 1st attempt was a cock-up as I miss read my own drawing!!
2nd go was a bit different, I 'tapered' the inlet a bit & was 10mm longer.
Although 'flexible' its still harder than rubber & was a bit awkward to squeeze it it, fitted perfect, & now its on, it ain't coming off in a hurry!!
Attachments
Carb-tube1.jpg
Carb-tube2.jpg
Carb-tube3.jpg
Carb-tube4.jpg


Return to “Two stroke”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest