Rims and spokes

Bikes or not. Whatever
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Rims and spokes

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Evening chaps,

I'm looking for recommendations. For the last couple of rebuilds, I have rechromed original rims and bought replacement spokes from Central Wheel, with varying degrees of success. For the Bantam, the rims were showing rust spots in 5 years, and the plated steel nipples were very rusty; the rechromed rims and plated brass nipples on the SQ4 are still good 7 years on - apart from the rust spot where I dropped a blob of Baker's Fluid whilst replacing a clutch cable nipple.

So, what shall I do for the FH? I'm probably going to buy brass plated nipples and stainless spokes from Central Wheel again, but shall I buy new stainless rims or plate the originals?

Opinions?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG, '78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Rims and spokes

Postby johnwalsh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 am

I had my FH wheels built up in stainless. Unless one has a definite preference for the chrome look ( original) then I don't personally see the point of chrome as it will inevitably rust if not on the outer surface if constantly cleaned and polished then more than likely on the inside where rust won't be seen until a tyre is changed.Spoke holes allow a fair bit of moisture in. I've never understood the reasoning in re-chroming old rims. Just my reasoning.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 am

You have to pickle the object you are plating. This is done with acid that tends to cause rusting later. You can't see into the closed section of the rim. A good stainless rim is OK as far as I'm concerned. Chromed or stainless you need the knurling of the inside to prevent the Tire slipping on the rim and a rimlock as well. Nev

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 am

Well, this is the reason I'm thinking of stainless. After 5 years, the Bantam rims were clearly rusting from the inside out - there were stains on the tyres. The SQ4 is fine even now.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG, '78 CX500

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 am

Hi
I've used stainless 'Roltru' rims from Devon Rim Company on my last two restorations coupled with their plated brass nipples and stainless spokes - very pleased with the quality and service.
For my FH I intend to use DRC 'Roltru' rims but as yet am undecided as to whether to replace the spokes and nipples - the current ones look like they may clean up and I'd quite like to retain the soft chrome look, we'll see.
Regards Mick

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

Yes, my spokes are quite good. I guess I'll see if the nipples turn and go from there.

You didn't have any issues with the holes, dimples and the direction of the spokes then?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG, '78 CX500

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 am

simon.holyfield wrote:You didn't have any issues with the holes, dimples and the direction of the spokes then?

Hi Simes
The DRC components, ('Roltru' stainless rims, stainless spokes and plated brass nipples), for my Matchless and the Triumph front were absolutely spot on - went together perfectly with no need to adjust anything.
The Triumph rear was not quite so straight forward - I always take numerous photos before and during dis-assembly, I was trying to replicate the original lacing pattern and could not make it work. A call to DRC and I learned that they use a slightly different pattern - all went fine from there and again, no need to adjust. (If I had just used the piercing to determine the spoke / hub relationship I wouldn't have had an issue :roll: ).
On the strength of the above experience with the Triumph rear I have been in touch with DRC enquiring about the lacing patterns for an FH - they have assured me they are as standard.
Regards Mick

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am

Cheers Mick. I think I am homing in on a decision there.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG, '78 CX500

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi just to confirm cost of rechroming rims is about same cost for stainless Rims. I had some Rims rechromed on a Matchless and within 18 months going rusty again. I have used Devon Rim Company since, using Roltru Rims SS spokes and plated brass nipples for various rebuilds. The look is very close to Chrome however won't rust and look fantastic on the bikes. Take plenty of close up pictures of the existing wheels before stripping down the old spokes. Keith

admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby admin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:19 am

I always put stainless (or alloy) rims and stainless spokes on every bike that I intend to keep.
Whatever you do, the chrome ones will eventually start to rust (in my case quicker as I am not very good at cleaning stuff) and you will be kicking yrself when that happens as you strip it all back down and do it again

I have a tough time telling polished stainless from chrome at any distance ...
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Return to “Main Chat Forum”