Leader colours and piston ring gaps

Anthony Woolhead

Leader colours and piston ring gaps

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Can anyone suggest a good colour match to the 'Ivory' without resorting to RS paints prices? I thought I saw somewhere that ford diamond white was a good match. Any comments on this? Also can somebody tell me the correct piston ring gap?

Cheers, Tony.

lawriewhite

Re: Leader colours and piston ring gaps

Postby lawriewhite » Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

RS used to be based locally to me in this town & I used them several times, but I'll not use them again, nothing wrong with them or their service, its just that they made a big thing about their paint being 'ready to use' basically it means very thin & it goes straight into the gun, fair enough you may say, but a litre is just that, I buy from my local auto paint place, they supply to the trade etc. & a litre of their stuff, once mixed ( 2-pack ) & thinned actually gives around 2 litres!!
They also have 'Diamond-White' off the shelf, its supposed to be a perfect mach, off White actually.
I painted this bike in the back garden!! :D
Attachments
1964-Ariel-Leader.JPG

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 pm

i go to car spares 57 Delamare road cheshunt tel no 01992 639844 they mix and match all my paints they are very good and helpfull

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Antony.
The piston ring gap is quoted as 0.070" to 0.073" on page 43 of the hand book (if you have a copy) It also says that the rings are pre gapped.
John

Anthony Woolhead

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for that John, mine actually measured 0.072" all the way down. I had one ring seized in the groove and broke it getting it out. I have ordered a pair from Draganfly.

Tony

Return to “Two stroke”