How to seal the timing cover gasket on a KH500

Singles, twins and fours.
admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak

How to seal the timing cover gasket on a KH500

Postby admin » Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Bike's been on the road for around 4 years.
Trying to seal the timing cover has been an ongoing problem - I have tried a variety of materials (standard gasket from an original kit, cork, nitrile rubber, thicker gasket material - all with/without a little silicon) . Some fail quite quickly and some fail a few months in

Another one gone tonight and I know I put the last one on at the back end of last year - failed on the top edge where they always seem to go.
Feckin oil everywhere ...

I have sanded the cover flat, a few times and I did that with the crankcase edge, before I fitted the engine.

Admittedly I don't ride that often .....

The best I have found is quality, thicker gasket material (which I make up) and a silicon smear.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: How to seal the timing cover gasket on a KH500

Postby Steven.Carter » Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 am

admin wrote:Bike's been on the road for around 4 years.
Trying to seal the timing cover has been an ongoing problem - I have tried a variety of materials (standard gasket from an original kit, cork, nitrile rubber, thicker gasket material - all with/without a little silicon) . Some fail quite quickly and some fail a few months in

Another one gone tonight and I know I put the last one on at the back end of last year - failed on the top edge where they always seem to go.
Feckin oil everywhere ...

I have sanded the cover flat, a few times and I did that with the crankcase edge, before I fitted the engine.

Admittedly I don't ride that often .....

The best I have found is quality, thicker gasket material (which I make up) and a silicon smear.

John my friend, Leather is your answer, Are all those outer covers the same? if they are my mate Mick has an outer cover for an 1954 alloy head bike and I'll happily make you one. All my Huntmasters have leather timing cover gaskets and are fantastic.
I rub a bit cheap builders silicone between my fingers into the leather and onto the cover only. Then whenever i need to remove the cover the gasket remains stuck to the cover.
Steve

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 am

I've done the opposite. Just a thin gasket around the return oil pipe bit and a hardening silicone on both side of the parts. Not too much to go everywhere. Tighten evenly just enough to push most of the sealant out of the join and finish tighten next day. I'm pretty fussy with the quality of the "cement" and remove all traces of the existing gasket and clean all surfaces with acetone containing thinners. I tighten the screws with a square sectioned screwdriver aided by a spanner made to fit the screw heads well so you can tighten them fully. It's not particularly easy to dismantle but you can't have everything. Nev

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 pm

Just a thought - is the crankcase breather working as it should?

admin

Postby admin » Thu May 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Steven.Carter wrote:John my friend, Leather is your answer, Are all those outer covers the same? if they are my mate Mick has an outer cover for an 1954 alloy head bike and I'll happily make you one. All my Huntmasters have leather timing cover gaskets and are fantastic.
I rub a bit cheap builders silicone between my fingers into the leather and onto the cover only. Then whenever i need to remove the cover the gasket remains stuck to the cover.
Steve

Yes please Steve !!
I believe that my engine is 1950 and drags reckon the same timing cover gasket for 1950 onwards (and maybe earlier ?)

I'll go with Nev's suggestion with semi- hard silicon this time around and see.
In the meantime, I'll check the breather is breathing ..
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Thu May 30, 2019 8:54 pm

admin wrote:
Steven.Carter wrote:John my friend, Leather is your answer, Are all those outer covers the same? if they are my mate Mick has an outer cover for an 1954 alloy head bike and I'll happily make you one. All my Huntmasters have leather timing cover gaskets and are fantastic.
Steve

Yes please Steve !!
I believe that my engine is 1950 and drags reckon the same timing cover gasket for 1950 onwards (and maybe earlier ?)

I'll go with Nev's suggestion with semi- hard silicon this time around and see.
In the meantime, I'll check the breather is breathing ..

As soon as I get hold of the cover I'll make one for you.

Steve

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 am

Very sorry.... I've given what I do tor A VH500 which has a much thicker and stiff cover and where there's not much room for a gasket with the stepped join. The older "klingerite" which is either pink or graphite grey with a fleck in it is good that would have to be a proprietary manufacture Or a high quality cardboard with a bit of give and some sealant that will penetrate it . The leather sounds good too if it's very even thickness Check it's flat as it's not a very rigid cover. I suspect sometimes oil leaks around the generator screws. Just use normal tightness and retighten a bit later. Nev

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri May 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Hope this works for you, PM your address and I'll get it off on monday

15593217941508335293589102377878.jpg

Return to “Four stroke”