Re: FOR SALE : 1928 model E

Postby nevhunter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:50 pm

I see you have a Bosch DAR? magdynamo on that bike. Has that been from new? Nev

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Paul Slootheer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 am

paul.wirdnam wrote:I do find it strange that we're almost at the position where some models of SQ4s are selling at the same price as similar condition Black Ariels. Prices on the latter have risen over the last 24 months while prices for SQ4s have stagnated and, in some cases, fallen.

Paul I can imagine, but I think it's all about what one is prepared to pay, and apparantly enough of us are willing! Supply and demand I would say... I'am afraid there's not any logical explanation for these prices other then above.

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Paul Slootheer wrote:
paul.wirdnam wrote:I do find it strange that we're almost at the position where some models of SQ4s are selling at the same price as similar condition Black Ariels. Prices on the latter have risen over the last 24 months while prices for SQ4s have stagnated and, in some cases, fallen.

Paul I can imagine, but I think it's all about what one is prepared to pay, and apparantly enough of us are willing! Supply and demand I would say... I'am afraid there's not any logical explanation for these prices other then above.

Can't argue with that Paul...I guess it always comes down to supply and demand. But whats "in" and whats "out" (fashion wise) is part of this equation and, in my own particular case, I have lost all interest in SQ4s, which is very different to how I felt in the 1990s, when I went out of my way to get a 4F and a Matchless Silver Hawk....virtually not feeding the wife and kids to achieve my selfish objectives :shock: .

But how things have changed. I will finish my 4G, and then either sell it...or the 4F depending on how the 4G runs....or maybe sell both...but the problem is that many other people seem to have gone off SQ4s......they must be out of fashion.
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 pm

It might just be the practicality. The Plain old 500 OHV single rigid frame is Ariels best model all round over the years. Once I put a bike together I want it to stay together for a Loonngg time and don't want to have to fiddle with them on a rally'. To get a trouble free run on a four you have to be more of an expert and dedicated builder. I'm also favouring "lighter" weight wise bikes. That's just Me. Everyone to their own. SUPPLY is a factor in anything. There's not a lot of BLACK Ariels about, and good ones should command a premium, as a bad one may be a bit fossilised. There's nothing specially good about the pre 31 models except the period appeal and they GO quite well and are lighter than later stuff. Nev

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:04 am

paul.wirdnam wrote:..but the problem is that many other people seem to have gone off SQ4s......they must be out of fashion.

I've heard they overheat on the rear cylinders too. :lol:
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:58 am

Nah ! . . They overheat ALL OVER if you get stuck in traffic (been there) :lol: .

(Still want another one though :oops: ).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Knud.Degnbol

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 pm

[quote][/quote]I see you have a Bosch DAR? magdynamo on that bike. Has that been from new? Nev

The Danish importer often ordered bikes with Bosch lightning.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:19 pm

Yes I had heard that. Nev

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”