Hi All, I thought I'd give you a long overdue update on the 4G project, has it really been 7 months since the last one?
We'll my tank painting and lining all went horribly wrong back in December when I came to remove the so-called "low tack" masking tape; I'll let the photos speak for themselves, but in disgust, I put the tank to one side and didn't return to it until warmer weather returned in April of this year:
Then in February / March, Corvid-19 came along and put us all in lockdown for a couple of months, so I built a '38 VH out of parts that had been lying around in my garage for several years. The frame actually started life as a VB, but literally a few days before lockdown, I picked up a single port VH engine from Dave Owen at the Bristol Classic Bike Show in Feb, so the VB became a VH. I call it my Black Hunter due to the lack of chrome. But it turned out nice and goes very well:
But I digress. When April came, I tackled the 4G tank again and got it right on this 2nd attempt.
Now fast forward to yesterday, Sunday 21st June. After finishing that tank, during May I've been doing lots of minor things on the 4G like fitting the tank, sorting out the instrument panel and PA speedo etc, making up HT leads, timing it etc etc. But yesterday, a mate came round with his electric starter rollers so that I could check the lubrication. Having replaced virtually everything in this engine (club conrods, re-ground crank journals, new leaded bronze main bearings, Morgo oil pump, camshaft, valves, guides etc etc) and having fitted a cartridge oil filter, I didn't want to take any chances.
I'm glad to report that after priming the Morgo oil pump, and with no spark plugs fitted, in 2nd gear on the rollers, I had 50 psi on the gauge and after a few minutes (has to fill the cartridge), a nice bubbling return to the oil tank.
Here how it currently looks. I hope to start it for the first time this week.