Filler over powder

Bikes or not. Whatever
wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Filler over powder

Postby wade.edwards » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:39 am

What to do with a powder coated W/NG oil tank? I took a chance that minor imperfections on the finished face wouldn’t be glaring but they are to me. Besides the face side the rest of the tank looks good.
I would like to repair with a skim of plastic filler, without taking the powder coat down to bare metal. I have touch up enamel to exactly match the powder, provided by the powder coater.
Any opinions on a plan of light sanding the powder coat, plastic filling, resurfacing and then touching up with the enamel?
I know it can be dummied up but want to consider that this is the way to go. I should have fixed the problem before powder coating but didn’t due to not having a filler that can take the oven heat, besides using lead. Anyone have an appropriate and easy filler fix for bare metal that can be powdered?

daveleek

Re: Filler over powder

Postby daveleek » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:48 am

Hi heres some good information about filler that is powder-coatable

https://www.powdercoatingonline.com/pow ... lab-metal/

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:52 pm

That is the most comprehensive explanation of a suitable filler I’ve seen. Thanks very much, Dave :D

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:37 am

Hi

I am lucky to have a very good powder coater in my area, PPS Glass Fibre of Inverurie - https://www.ppsglassfibre.co.uk/.
I have used them to powder coat the frames and ancilliary bits and pieces of my AMC and Triumph restorations. They're very helpful, blast in house and will apply a three coat finish, (corrosion inhibitor, colour and clear coats), for what I consider to be a very reasonable price, (particularly when compared to a professional paint finish).
I have been so impressed with the finish and it's cost that I decided to bite the bullet and try powder coating on the bodywork of my Ariel restoration, unfortunately the blasting process revealed some minor dings in the fuel tank that I was unaware of. Luckily PPS didn't go ahead and coat the tank and I collected it to consider my options:

Knock out the dings - I don't have the level of tin bashing skill to perform this and am not keen on slicing the bottom off of the tank to allow access. It would also add substantial cost to the project.

Fill the dings and spray the tank - I can do this at home, I have successfully matched the finish in spray paint to allow me to paint the rear dampers. Downside is that the finish would differ from the rest of the bike and may be 'obvious', cost of filler, primer, under, top and clear coats Estimated at around £75.

Find a filler medium that would be compatible with the powder coating process.

I decided to have a go at the latter:

Whilst at PPS I bumped into the chap who does all of their powder coating and asked him if he knew of a filler which could be powder coated. He told me that there was a readily available purpose made filler that worked well with powder coat and on his recommendation I bought some of this:

Filler for P Coat.png
Filler for P Coat.png (261.92 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Here are some of the dings in the fuel tank revealed during blasting:

Tank Dings.png
Tank Dings.png (218.6 KiB) Viewed 429 times

And the result:

Coated.png
Coated.png (234.47 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Regards Mick

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm

HI Mick you are right about alloy wheel filler i did not think about it till you said i send my alloy wheels to have them re powder coated they strip and blast them and re powder coat they must use a filler to fix the chips and dings in them before they powder coat coat

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Wow! This has massive potential for rusty mudguards and the like. Presumably you are highly competent at rubbing down to achieve such a good result?
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:29 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311905009669
Blue Magic Quick-steel. This one specifically claims to have steel in it and is 100% compatible with powder coating high heat. I've ordered two tubes so looks like it will be soon be put to good use :shock:

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 pm

quick steel is a bit hard to rub down and try and get it to feather the edges in so it doesn't show wen its painted

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 am

Great information here! Every time I've considered powder coating, I've always been put off by being told (by the powder coaters) that "there is no filler that can stand the powder coating temperatures".
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Do not powder coat a petrol tank ! it's a plastic layer that wont stand up to fuel.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”