FH Rebuild Issues

Singles, twins and fours.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

FH Rebuild Issues

Postby Mick D » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi

I wonder if I'm missing something or have just not done things in the correct order, but these are a few observations from my rebuild:

Seat bolt above the oil tank, I guess the process is to insert bolt then fit the oil tank and struggle to fit the seat - or is there a better way?

Magneto bottom extended nut - does this have to be installed before the primary drive or is there a secret to removing / installing the mag on a completed bike? I had to slacken off the carb to allow the mag to pass the drip tray and primary drive but I'm struggling to see how I can fit the long nut, (I'll revisit tomorrow with more enthusiasm).

Clutch dome could only be fitted with the LH footrest, (two piece), slackened whilst 'easing' the exhaust and brake pedal removed - is this the experience of others?

I'm looking forward to my FH's first run in 25 years - once I get the third mag nut, oil tank and seat fitted ;) but is it really so difficult to remove the clutch dome or seat at the roadside?

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: FH Rebuild Issues

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Mick:
Seat bolt above the oil tank:
Don't fit it, it's too much of a pain (I'm not the first to have reached this conclusion)
Magneto bottom extended nut:
Caused me a lot of grief as well, I ended up cutting down the hex. end (mine was a new stainless one, I think they've got the length of the hex head wrong.)
Clutch dome:
That's my experience, I've got allen bolts in my mine and I can use a cut-down key for that lower front bolt but from what I remember the footrest still has to be loosened. (It's the same with the single with no LH exhaust pipe although I suspect it's a lot more hassle with a pipe in the mix as well)

HTH

SG)
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm

I agree with Simon regarding the seat and Magneto long nut. Mines the perfect length and so no problem.
I can get the dome off mine with no problem. You can fit the foot rest on a different spline so that it's out of the way.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:09 pm

HI Mick i fit a stud in the seat then i use a nut and i don't have to remove the oil tank to take the seat off :)

Mick D

Postby Mick D » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks Guys

I have considered moving the footrests one spline forward but thought that would move them too close to the gear and brake pedals - will re-visit, (Steven are your footrests the two piece version?).

Like the idea of a stud for the seat fixing - will investigate further.

As far as I can tell my mag nut is original, Simon / Steven, do you offer up the nut from underneath and between the engine plates or from above the primary drive case?

Regards Mick

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 am

Re. Seat studs - I'm thinking about fitting hinges on the oil tank side, to provide access under the seat without having to undo that bolt.

Early days yet though, my sons Honda is still on the bench...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am

Hello Mick, my (I confess elaborate) solution to the seat fixing, see pics.
It consists of two angle iron bars and two small distance blocks at the rear of the seat.
These distance blocks are there because the two angle iron parts raised the seat a bit.
I used the type of angle bar that has both inside and outside surfaces parallel (it probably has a name)
The large holes in them are just for the fun of it....
2 Bridge piece under seat.jpg
1 Bridge piece on frame..jpg
4 The two pieces fitted together.jpg
3 fixed bolt on the R goes into toolbox.jpg

have fun!

Mick D

Postby Mick D » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi

Vincent, that solution is elegant and very inspiring, thank you.

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Mick
I mislaid my original mag bolt, tried every which way to get the new bolt to fit with no success and as I don't recall the original being that tricky (albeit a very long time back now) AND as I generally think things should be made easier if possible (too many memories of trying to fix things at the side of the road in the dark) taking a slice off the hex head of the bolt was the way to go.
It now fits from the top (ie over the chaincase, under the mag).
I've got studs in my seat already - 'cos on my frame, getting the bolt holes lines up is a real pain - but the one above the oil tank is still too much of a faff compared with the alternative of not having it there at all (with the big bonus that I know I'm not going to knock the paint off the top of the oil tank in a place where I can't see if there's bare metal that'll start going rusty).

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Return to “Four stroke”