Doing my first restoration - couple first questions

Bikes or not. Whatever
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Doing my first restoration - couple first questions

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:00 pm

RalphM wrote:Find a non working reg fillet if and mount the solid state one inside?

There are some pages on my blog illustrating how you can do this...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:03 pm

RalphM wrote:Find a non working reg fillet if and mount the solid state one inside?

For me, and what i want the bike to be that would more effort than it's worth.

I am thinking i should have chosen a different word than "restoration" :lol:

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am

You can see the remains of the original tabs on the cross-tube - I'm suggesting cut so the 'tabs' that are left just extend upwards with the same width as these (ie in the red areas you've drawn but narrower).
This may not seem very substantial compared with what you've got there at the moment but the originals ain't particularly substantial either and as well as being smaller, new 'solid state' regulators are a lot lighter.
(To be brutally honest I reckon you could cut the bracket you've got off completely, wrap a piece or two of inner tube around the tube and cable-tie a modern regulator in place, and a lot of people won't notice anything 'amiss'! It just occurred to me that with a bit of artful cutting you could fairly easily achieve something that functioned - and looked - pretty close to what the factory did! Just my opinion....)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

RalphM

Postby RalphM » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 am

If your solid state reg bolt on I would bolt it to metal with heat sink compound between,
anything that reduces temperature aides reliability.

wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby wade.edwards » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 am

Charlie, if the bracket is not removed and the frame restored to stock, there is likely to be future regret when for the next ten years, knowledgeable Ariel owners will be asking WTH whenever you display your machine.
I very recently restored a rigid frame. I spent hours in repairs and metal finishing before I sand blasted it with 80 grit oxide.
Be aware that grease will leak out of the steering head if the grease is not thoroughly removed before going into a powder coat oven. Mine leaked out the bottom of the Center vertical tube but did not affect the paint.
I also spent time creating protection for the bearing races using ready rod and washers.
I was charged $150.00 for the powder coat. If you have silicone plugs inserted it all screw holes and bolt holes charge out fees will be reduced and it will save a lot of time filing out paint and chasing threads.
After this advice you may opt for a rattle can :shock:
Attachments
105E7F08-EFF9-4BD5-9160-9635322C30B0.jpeg

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 am

Charlie, if the bracket is not removed and the frame restored to stock, there is likely to be future regret when for the next ten years, knowledgeable Ariel owners will be asking WTH whenever you display your machine.
I very recently restored a rigid frame. I spent hours in repairs and metal finishing before I sand blasted it with 80 grit oxide.
Be aware that grease will leak out of the steering head if the grease is not thoroughly removed before going into a powder coat oven. Mine leaked out the bottom of the Center vertical tube but did not affect the paint.
I also spent time creating protection for the bearing races using ready rod and washers.
I was charged $150.00 for the powder coat. If you have silicone plugs inserted it all screw holes and bolt holes charge out fees will be reduced and it will save a lot of time filing out paint and chasing threads.
After this advice you may opt for a rattle can :shock:
Attachments
15A8CF03-134C-4B6E-89C2-AE50DF0DCC4B.jpeg

daveleek

Postby daveleek » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:35 am

I dont think the bracket has been welded on ,it looks like some kind of brazing alloy , if it is you could melt it off without overheating the frame tube/fitting , possibly with M.A.P gas , if Oxy/Acetylene is not available ,and then finished off with a file or a fine flap-wheel ,without removing any parent metal , however its been attached I would remove it , and attach with new tabs for the regulator

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Looks like a pitiful bodger arc weld to me.....I reckon one solid hit toward the rear and it will simply fold and break off,leaving maybe one or two spots of actual join.The you can hit the remains with an angle grinder ,and its gone.Or even a file ......Second thought ,apply a shifter to the edge and bend back ,it will break.

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm

A Dynabrade Dynafile is a frame restorers most valuable tool. Works perfectly on tubes.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”