KICK START JAMMING

Anything about Ariels
RalphM

Re: KICK START JAMMING

Postby RalphM » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am

Mine jammed near every time, but the clutch was also heavy, I adjusted the clutch
springs out a little with still no slipping but it was still heavy even with a new
cable, in the end re routing the cable gave a good light clutch and since then
just pulling the clutch as freed the kickstart jam, win win.

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:11 pm

To enable winding the kick start spring I made a tool for this, see pics., you wind the spring it up to its correct tension and then insert the m4 screw, very easy.

There is only one penny washer, my sketch is incorrect, the arrow points to the spring retainer and not the penny washer, sorry for that :oops: .

The mod does not stop jamming but it gives you the ability to see inside the box whilst you are operating the kick start mechanism to assess what is causing the jamming.

Hope this helps, sorry for the pics. being on their side.

John P.
Attachments
IMG_20200728_0001.jpg
IMG_20200728_0002.jpg
IMG_20200728_0003.jpg

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:16 pm

HI John i see now the bolt does not nip the spring and spring just hooks on to the bolt and washer and the tool wind it i have got a spare box i am going to have a go of doing it to because i am not going to strip again the box in the bike i have had it apart 5 times so i am fed up with it i am just going to have to put up with it, i can not do no more after putting all new parts in the box trying to stop it jamming :( :? :? thank you for your post

JohnnyBeckett

Re: KICK START JAMMING UPDATE

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm

HI all THE KICKSTART has now DECIDED to stick down at at the bottom as well and not come back on its own :? have you got any ideas what i can do to stop this happening as well :?: thank you and keep safe

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:00 pm

HI All i found out why the kickstart was sticking down ti was the new quadrant from the club spares, was made wrong i have now replaced it a it jams now about every 8 to 10 kicks i am going to take the quadrant back out and grind the tooth that is cut down on the new quadrant already , because i think it is to near the teeth on the ratchet, and see if that is what is making the the kickstart jam now and again :? :x
this is my last go at trying to fix it :( if that dont fix it i will to just have to put up with it
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:22 am

If you have a new quadrant I would not alter the 1/2 tooth. It's there for a purpose as long as it's a faithful replica or a genuine new one. You can check the action with the outer cover off. IF it catches right at the beginning of meshing it's one thing. If it jambs down your bushes in the two cases may be out of line or the spring the wrong width or placement.. OR what you had, the quadrant too big in radius. (meshing too deep) .Nev

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:23 am

HI Nev it is not sicking down now i have replaced the quadrant it is just jamming now and again wen you try and kick it over and i think its the 1/2 tooth touching the ratchet at the beginning :?: apart from that it is ok, the sticking down was the pitch on the teeth was made wong on the new ons the club has had made :!:

Return to “Ariel Talk”