Oil line position on VCH or alloy VH

Singles, twins and fours.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Oil line position on VCH or alloy VH

Postby Brian_Walker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:18 am

Hi All,
Hope someone can help me, I am trying to put everything back to standard and have removed my gear oil pump and have installed the standard Ariel plunger pump. To-whit I have just received the official oil feed lines to the rockers to replace my home made one, where does the line to the feed point in the timing chest travel along the front of the crankcase or rear. I have searched high and low a no photos show where the line vanishes to after it passes across the top of the head. The photo below shows the line in question.
Thanks Brian

oilline.jpg
1951-52 VCH under restoration

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Oil line position on VCH or alloy VH

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48 am

You take it from the return oiltube with a T exit.

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian_Walker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks Ardrie I have that sorted but I was needing to know if the line passes around the front of engine or rear to get to the outlet on the timing side.
Brian

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 am

Brian, if you've not sorted this already I'll just throw in that I've never seen an Ariel single with the rocker feed going around the front of the engine...

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian_Walker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks Simon, I will take it around the back.. Drags supplied a length of zinc coated tube and either front or back of the engine it still looks dodgy as it descends down the barrel to the side of the spark plug or the rocker boxes. Maybe someone can take a photo from the the chaincase side that will help me, nothing much visible on every photo I have looked at it may be because the inc coating on the tubing makes it blend into the background.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:15 pm

If you are using pressure fed rockers from a stud at 5 o'clock on the timing case the feed goes up the engine in front of the exhaust pushrod tube and to the exhaust rocker. A pipe goes from the rear of the union on the exhaust rocker to the inlet rocker. The rocker pipe you have is for the feed from the return to the oil tank. This goes to the rear of the engine.

The photo below is not ideal, but you can see the vertical oil feed pipe to the exhaust rocker on my Red Hunter.

Hug in Mellon Udrigle.JPG
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian_Walker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 am

Thanks for the reply Paul, unfortunately my engine is a VCH and is a bit of a rarity as it was made in late 1951 but built with the new style square based alloy barrels not fitted until the later in the VHAs it came with a two lobe cam and it has no oil return from rockers to oil tank as the later ones. Oil feed to the top end was from the 5/16" banjo at the front of the timing chest to the 'outlet of the "T" to the chaincase side not straight down parallel to the pushrod tube in your photo. Just don't know how to keep it neat with the length of tube from Drags.
Brian

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:59 am

Brian_Walker wrote:Just don't know how to keep it neat with the length of tube from Drags.

It's following the frame tube until streat down to the head connection.

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian_Walker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks Adrie, makes sense, I will run it over the rocker cover along the frame and in between the cylinder and the magneto then around to the outlet from the timing cover. Makes it clear now why none of the photos I have looked at show the pipe, it is cleverly hidden by the petrol tank and oil tank pipes.
Brian

Return to “Four stroke”