Engine oil for FH650

Singles, twins and fours.
david weare

Engine oil for FH650

Postby david weare » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Dear Forum
I know there will be many options for this & no doubt asked many times...

FH650 engine oil. Have been advised 20/50 - also Morris Golden Film SAE40 or Comma Classic SAE40.
As for the multigrade 20/50 - presume this would be Morris too?

Engine was rebuilt 5 or so years ago I believe.
No idea what oil is in it presently, (Looks clean, clear pale honey) as previous owner just kep the bike for a year or so without doing anything to it and doesn't know what oil is in it.
No in line spin on filter - not uprated pump as far as I know.

Thanks again in advance
David

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Engine oil for FH650

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:54 pm

hi David you can use 20/50 oil i use duckhams classic or you can use castrol 20/50 because you have got big end shells but i would fit a oil filter if not use a straight 50 oil

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:58 pm

If you don’t plan on riding a lot of miles then you don’t need to fit an oil filter as long as you change the oil frequently.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

david weare

Postby david weare » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Hello
Thanks for the replies.
I would like to fit an external filter but do not have one right now.
I think I'll change the oil for a Morris monograde for now - to be safe - and perhaps change to 20/50 when I have the filter fitted.
Suspect it is running a classic oil, by the looks of it.

I have an old bevel Ducati that also runs straight 40.
I was told that if you have run detergent free oil for a few years you do not want to suddenly change to multigrade with detergent / dispersant.
In the Ducatis case this is primarily due to the risk of flushing metal particles through the needle roller big end.

So - would I need a complete strip down and clean up before changing to a more modern multigrade (Duckham 20/50) for example?
Or by fitting the filter, will this pick up any crap before it's get's fed to the main or big ends?

I've been riding and fixing bikes for 30 years but being the new owner of a FH650 - Feel like a novice, like starting all over again.
(Perhaps learning is the best bit!)

Thanks again for your help

David

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:58 pm

Earlier thread on oils for Huntmaster:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1850

Issue about detergent in oil ain't quite the same as the oil grades (you can get detergent and non-detergent in straight grades).

Plenty of oil opinions on the A7/A10 forum if you really want to go round in circles....
http://www.a7a10.net/forum
I think a fair summary is that as many A10 owners happily use 20-50 as don't and similarly as many use an extra filter as don't.

Personally I'm not keen on Morris oils as with a few exceptions (Motorsport 15-50, V-twin 20-50) they don't have anywhere near enough the amount of ZDDP (zinc additive) in them that I like to see for engines that can wear cam/timing gear relatively quickly (eg Ariel singles and Ariel/BSA 650 twins). (Other folks on the forum have used Morris products for many years with no issues, I'm probably in a minority of one....)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

david weare

Postby david weare » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Thanks Simon.
Yes those who do not want detergents seem to choose monograde even though there are detergent free multigrades available.

INteresting to hear about Morris & ZDDP. Will look further into that,
Best

David

Simon.Gardiner wrote:Earlier thread on oils for Huntmaster:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1850

Issue about detergent in oil ain't quite the same as the oil grades (you can get detergent and non-detergent in straight grades).

Plenty of oil opinions on the A7/A10 forum if you really want to go round in circles....
http://www.a7a10.net/forum
I think a fair summary is that as many A10 owners happily use 20-50 as don't and similarly as many use an extra filter as don't.

Personally I'm not keen on Morris oils as with a few exceptions (Motorsport 15-50, V-twin 20-50) they don't have anywhere near enough the amount of ZDDP (zinc additive) in them that I like to see for engines that can wear cam/timing gear relatively quickly (eg Ariel singles and Ariel/BSA 650 twins). (Other folks on the forum have used Morris products for many years with no issues, I'm probably in a minority of one....)

SG

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:05 am

I use Aviation oils ....W-100PLUS. It has special additives for cam lobes and some aero engines run 3 springs on each valve. The "Usual" heavier 20-50 and straight 50 oils are for worn out, LOOSE car engines not specifically for hot running iron AIRCOOLED engines. These oils must meet a world wide standard. Change oil regularly and clean the oil tank each time.. Done it for well over 50 years. Nev

admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:59 pm

You'll get a hundred different opinions.
Mine is that older specification 20w/50 is pretty good - SG is still widely available, which contains most of the bits, which get taken out in successive specifications for modern engines. A detergent oil is fine with a filter, keeps your sludge trap and oil ways clear.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:26 pm

HI Davei if you fit a oil filter it is filtering the oil wen it is returning to the oil tank, and not in the flow to the engine so if you have crap in the engine it has gone through the bearings before it get to the filter unless the is just been rebuilt i would just use straight oil :!:

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:03 am

Meeting pollution standards has compromised many modern oils as to be suitable for our use . How many aircooled engines are out there apart from lawn mowers and our old bikes? We are a very small section of a market, and probably not catered for at all, specifically. .Johnny, if the oil is clean in the tank it goes to the pump and then straight to the bearings so unless the pump is failing the oil will be OK. For quite a few years I was a CASTROL dealer (Just OILS). as they make a wide range. At that time I'm of the understanding ALL engine oils contained SOME detergent. Most engines I pull down are not full of sludge or other build up ( except Diesels in the old days.) Today even diesels run quite clean IF you are running alutin or copper- lead bearings a fine filter is almost essential. IF a motor has run much and built up some grunge deposits when it's left sitting some will tend to separate off oilways and crankshaft galleries (where it centrifuges out during use)and travel into the plain bearings and do great damage. Nev

Return to “Four stroke”