kickstart return

Singles, twins and fours.
kevinbowman

kickstart return

Postby kevinbowman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I am reposting as I posted before in the wrong section! hoping that I might get some pointers from more experienced club members, well here goes the kickstart will work correctly goes down and returns up as it should I have re tensioned the spring to its maximum to get it to return at what I deem to be ok, I then fitted the primary drive sprocket,with the shim behind it and shim in front of it next clutch basket and center all working ok at this point, but when the clutch plates are fitted the kickstart will go down ok but will not return back up if I pull the cluth lever in it will come up but only with a little help. The bike had be left standing for 50 years before I got it so has the kick start spring got weak as it will not wind up any more without getting bound solid. I have spent three days trying to sort it out without any success any advice gratefully received .

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: kickstart return

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:08 pm

What bike and in particular what gearbox are we talking about? This sounds rather like a BA or CP gearbox full of old grease which is pretty solid.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Brian.Fosh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian.Fosh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi Kevin.

When I stripped my '51 SQ4 BA gearbox, similarly unused for an estimated 50 yrs or so, I took photos to help me reassemble it.
This particular photo shows my kickstart ratchet freshly removed from the end of the mainshaft, i.e, opposite end to the clutch, right in the middle of this photo.

If yours is a BA box, My guess is your toothed ratchet is is not free-running, i.e has become locked together either "ratchet-face to ratchet-face" or maybe via the steel bush at its center. (You can see this bush still on the mainshaft just below and to the right of the ratchet spring in the photo.

Maybe it is bound by either rust or solidified old tallow style grease perhaps? Regards, Brian.

gearbox ratchet.JPG
gearbox ratchet.JPG (43.46 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Bit of an odd problem - I wonder if something could be catching/rubbing on the kickstart quadrant (I've never come across a kickstart spring getting weaker with age unless maybe it's very corroded).
With the clutch in (disengaged) how free is it when the kickstart is depressed? (should be very very free).
I'm not sure how much the grease deadens the sound in a BA box but when you use the kickstart with the clutch plates out can you hear the ratchet clicking when the lever returns (or does the shaft rotate?)

(Bit of clutching at straws going on here on my part!)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am

Sorry I should have stated its a BA box of a 1951 kh 500 at present gear box is dry as it has been washed out and cleaned ready to refill, I am going to order a new spring today and if no luck with that I will look further into gearbox thanks for the replies so far when I get it sorted I will post to let you know what was causing the problem kevin.

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 pm

I have now found out why the kickstart will not return, the kickstart pinion ratchet is not clearing the drive ratchet on the return stroke if I push the pinion ratchet back against the spring until it compresses the spring fully it still wont clear the driving ratchet. I have to undo the nut by one and a quarter turns and then they clear to allow the kickstart to return back up. The pinion spring is a new one from dragonfly, the only other thing I have done is to fit the oil seal kit to the back of the gearbox again from dragonfly. I will take the gearbox apart tomorrow and see if I have assembled it wrong but it selects all the gears ok if anyone has any thoughts on the matter I will be glad to here from them, also if I find out what is wrong I will post it so it may help other members in the future. kevin

ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby ian.scott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:01 am

That sounds like a result of misleading information in knowledge base in the club files that mistakenly suggests doing it to adjust the free play in the mainshaft.
You need to replace the sleeve.

Ian

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the reply Ian, I take it you mean the pinion sleeve that the spring fits over kevin

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Thats right Kevin
I saw the misinformation in the knowledge base, when I was researching my own BA problem ( BA - CP gearbox - mainshaft end float) , but didn't make the effort to correct, I'm sorry to say.

Ian

admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 am

i can correct the article in the knowledge base .

If someone wants to idetify the article in question and re-write the content, then I will change it
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Return to “Four stroke”