dc to dc converter

Bikes or not. Whatever
bill.bottrill

dc to dc converter

Postby bill.bottrill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Well,just before christmas I managed to fire up my mk2 for the first time,It last worked in 1966 if the tax disc is correct.Apart from dumping 30 quids worth of magnetec while I was otherwise engaged and the horrendous vibration!I was very pleased,Does anyone on the forum have any experiance of dc to dc converters,I want to use a 6volt to 12volt converter for some lights,I purchased a unit which was supposed to be 200w.but it didn't last 5 mins,I would like to know of a make which will work up to 7/8 amps output ,the unit I purchased didn't really look robust enough although it was stated 200w regards bill

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: dc to dc converter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:09 pm

My mates got one fixed to his bike. I'll find our what it was. What are you using it for?

bill.bottrill

Postby bill.bottrill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Steve,I'm going to use it to power up the headlight/tailight,leaving everthing else on 6volt ,charging etc,I've just got a LED headlight in the post ,it powers up on 6 volts surprisingly but leds go out as the volts slip below 6.5,it says 75 watt on it and on 12 volts it's amazingly brilliant,thats about 6 amps however it says there are 13 leds on main beam at 5 watt each thats only 65 watts I haven't an ammeter to check it but it seems less than that ,It is a tad too big to fit in the headlight bowl it fits in the back behind the rim securing screw so I might be able to modify the bowl easily? Having said that I have just been on a U S motor bike advice forum and have ordered a digiten unit from amazon it looks more robust and is waterproof too 10 amps i think the unit introduces a frequency because of the way they work so I am a little bothered this might upset the LEDS in the headlight but as this unit was on a bike forum I hope it will be ok. bill

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Have you tried a multi-LED headlamp bulb before? It will be interesting to see the beam pattern. Current thinking is that the new single-LED bulbs concentrate the light at the focal point of the reflector, resulting in a more useful beam pattern.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 am

Here's the dc to dc step up converter that Alan has inside the headlight of his bike. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industry-Grad ... SwZQRYa~l5

It's only 4 amps but he has kept the 6 volt rear lights and only uses the 12 volts for the head light and sat nav.

His 12 volt headlight is 12 Watts low beam and 18 Watts high beam. I think that at 12 watts he's only drawing 1 amp.
This is the bulb he's using.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18W-Motorcycl ... Sw4GVYQzhn

Steve

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 am

You mentioned Alan, Steve. Which headlamp shell is he using?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 am

He's got it fitted in his WNG Simon, he wanted to stay 6 volts but just needed it for his headlight.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Excellent, thanks Steve. Good beam at night?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 pm

You certainly know when he's behind :D

bill.bottrill

Postby bill.bottrill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks Steve and Simon,
I wish i could post the unit/converter like you but I can't.The headlight unit is completely different from your mates I shouldn't have been so greedy and stayed with something like that!¬,My LEDS will be hard up against the old reflector glass I intend keeping the old glass, minus the reflector,they are called projecter leds!,the unit is advertised for US jeeps,a nice well made and sealed jobby,the converter this time is idiot proof with over voltage and short protection and recovery modes was 20 quid the headlight 44 quid + the unit I burnt out 6 quid,as i said the reflector was shot and I would of had to buy a H4 etc The dip pattern is a 5 line strip the full beam a cluster so I suppose I should check to see if the glass lenses make much difference pressed up to them! Yes I think you are right I will just power up the headlight with this one, the shortest run of wiring and converter bolted to the rear mudguard as a heat sink,and I will switch it with 6volt relays so I can keep the main switch also for dip/main so the wires won't have to go to the dip switch,well that's the theory
I will have to do a little panel beating on the headlamp shell but it's not much, a couple of mills and it fits easily into the rim,It looks much better with the original glass in place. bill

Return to “Main Chat Forum”