New Member and New Bike.

Anything about Ariels
MarkC

New Member and New Bike.

Postby MarkC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi All,
I recently bought my first Ariel, a 1958 HT5, so I thought the best thing is to join the Club, which I have now done today. The bike seems to be pretty original, a bit tatty but was running although not very well and not easy to start. I want to check the bike out and do what needs to be done over the Winter so I can use it next year. I started checking obvious things like chains - both totally shot. I found the clutch centre nut was just finger tight, sprocket lockwasher not turned over and other stuff like that. Strangely, all sprockets look good and clutch plates show no sign of wear at all. Anyway, I thought I better take the head off and have a look. Valves look very good and guides look new but there are signs of the exhaust valve either sticking or not been ground in properly.
Piston (+0,020) is clean (the photo shows it as the head came off) and there is no wear at all in the bore, it measures exactly what it should and there is no wear 'step' but what do you make of the black deposits all over the the bore ? See photos. I have not taken the barrel off.
The other thing is - is there some sort of locking device on the front brake plate that I cannot see ? I can't get it off by standing on the rim and pulling the plate and I don't want to unnecessarily force it.

Any suggestions for the best place for spares and any ideas for wheel rims and tyres. I will be using the bike more as a rough trail bike and very low key novice trials - no serious trials and I want to keep it largely in original trim.

DSC_2425 (2)1.jpg

DSC_2421 (2)1.jpg

DSC_2420 (2)1.jpg

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New Member and New Bike.

Postby nevhunter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:53 pm

The spots look like rust that has been polished over by the piston. Might be worth lifting the barrel and checking the rings for freedom in the grooves as well as feel the big end. Check the front brake backing plate for cracks and corrosion. Nev

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 am

MarkC wrote:Any suggestions for the best place for spares

Hello Mark,
Welcome to the AOMCC and to this Forum. The best place for Ariel spares:

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/

Where in the world are you?
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:46 am

MarkC wrote:The other thing is - is there some sort of locking device on the front brake plate that I cannot see ?

Hello MarkC,
There could be a ridge in the liner, turn the tensioner back an try again.
It has signs of being in the water or in a flooded area.

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks Nev, Chris and Adrie :
This is great - I can post late in the evening and have answers early in the morning.
1.)I will pull the barrel off this morning, as soon as I check the Cricket score.... If this has been rust it could be worth honing the barrel I suppose while its removed. I had intended to get the alloy castings aqua blasted while they are off to get rid of the staining but I will cap (top and bottom) the bore beforehand.
2.) I'm in the North of England.
3.) The bike does have signs of being in a flooded area and also signs of standing a long time.

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Mark. You could also try Pete in single spare in the club.Contact details inside the mag,

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

Honing's OK but you do remove metal. Marks don't matter much as long as the rings seal. Nev

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Check that the barrel has not rusted through from the outside-can happen, mine has.
You need to remove the brake plate anchor arm from the fork to remove the wheel with the brake plate attached. Be aware that the anchor arm is slightly cranked to accommodate the difference btn plate and the fork not being in line. When the wheel and b/plate are re-attached the anchor arm should fit nicely without being stressed, otherwise the plate will tend to be stressed out of line, seems obvious I know. I believe this may be one reason some bikes have suffered a brake plate failure at this point.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Phil B » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Mark, whereabout in the North are you? I’m East Yorkshire.
You mentioned flooding is all. We got lots of that.
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for all that.
I lifted the barrel off and those marks are definitely corrosion (possibly condensation through standing after a rebuild ?) and the black probably burnt oil where the rust spots were. Anyway, now the barrel is off I can now feel some of them so some marks must be deeper than others, I will hone the barrel and see if it helps at all but as Nev said, it doesn't really remove any material.
The piston rings seem fine in the grooves with adequate gap.
I cannot detect any vertical (or lateral) movement in the big end but there is a large amount of rocking movement, nearside to offside (like a propeller). I will have to split the crankcases and check it out - Anything specific or general I should look out for or be careful of ?

DSC_2436.1.jpg

DSC_2435.1.jpg

DSC_2434.1.jpg

I'm in Northumberland Phil, as you probably know it's generally sunny up here although I did buy the bike from 'down South'.

Return to “Ariel Talk”