A chat today was amusing

Bikes or not. Whatever
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

A chat today was amusing

Postby tstewart » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:42 pm

I was speaking to some people today about when I shuffle of my mortal coil, what happens to my bikes.
A guy not too far away died and his nephew said the family cleared his garage by putting half built bikes, tools spares etc, into a skip.

Then this lady said The Cat Protection League have a scheme that when a cat owner dies the cat is relocated to a good home which has been vetted.

I think this lady has a good point. :D :D :D

Anyone else got any ideas?
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: A chat today was amusing

Postby pappleton » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:48 pm

The skip idea sounds good to me. To show what a gentleman I am, I will supply and load the skip F.O.C. No cats though, as with a Thai wife I can never be too sure what turns up on the dinner plate!
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

If you don't have someone in the family competent to clear the garage/workshop, put something in your will the the effect that the AOMCC should be contacted and asked to clear it in exchange for say 10% of the proceeds. That way, the maximum value of your hobby will be preserved.

The alternative is the skip option, which preserves the minimum value of your hobby. On the other hand, the more people who use the skip option, the more the value is of the contents of the sheds of those who outlast you.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Dave.Thomas
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Dave.Thomas » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Reminded me of being involved in the construction of the National Cat Centre in Hayward’s Heath 18-20 yrs ago. Multi million pound venture heavily funded by bequeathments . We were involved in fitting the heating and aircon to the cats quarters, those moggies that end up there live out the end of their days better than most OAP’s !

fpassmore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby fpassmore » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Yes, this is a problem finding someone who cares enough, with 5 children I thought one of them would take it up but sadly no takers. One of my best friends and fellow I build bikes with is in my will to clear up the remains (that's what my wife calls it). If he can't do it then perhaps I should nominate the local vintage bike club to step up, thanks for the idea Paul. I have 900 sq ft of storage for bikes and parts with the home shop chock full of finished bikes (6 here right now), parts and projects (3 on the benches) so it could be a rather daunting task for someone.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:34 pm

I like your idea Paul. My son is not interested and I have 4 grandsons none of which seem to be wired up to appreciate bikes.
Motorbikes have been a large part of my life. I found out today others have the same concerns.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 am

You don't see a lot of young people at our gatherings. I doubt that will change much. There's a few exceptions, but it's rare.
Avoid the skip bin syndrome. SELL before you die. That way you have control. Do as I say not as I do. Despite my best efforts to find good homes for my bikes some have gone into the hands of BARBARIANS, and come to a bad end. Every one of my 4 kids has ridden them and quite well too but they have other more pressing priorities. It's a great hobby as it's world wide and you get to see lots of thing you wouldn't otherwise, as local rally organisers know where these interesting and out of the way places are. Without bikes my life would have been nothing like what it has been. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:33 am

None of it worries me.........Ive already junked many tons of stuff I was interested in,and many more to go............at least with old bikes ,there is a market ,but for a lot of things people collect ,everything will go for scrap.........what I notice is cashed up middle age men are prepared to pay large sums for fully restored "bling" bikes,but there is very little interest now in the project bikes......I know a lot of guys spending $10k,15k,restoring old trucks,and they arent saleable for anything like that or at all..

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 am

I'm not young but younger than most in the club at 41. My family have never understood me for my liking of old cars, bikes, music, furniture etc christ my fridge was made in 54. With no children of my own I often wonder what would happen to everything when I'm gone because there is nobody who will appreciate it. It's just one thing we just can't do much about.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby adrian.hannam » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm

I just don't want to leave a huge job for my wife to sort out. On the other hand if she goes first what would I do with her vintage sewing machine collection, all the fabrics and craft stuff? She would want them to go to a good home too, but I would likely give them away to anyone who wanted them.
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

Return to “Main Chat Forum”