Otto Gaskets

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Otto Gaskets

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am

Next winter, I aim to find the time to address a pushrod tunnel oil leak on my Mk1.

Must I replace the Otto gaskets or are they reusable? I believe they are a fibre gasket with a mesh to stop them moving in the joint, so I am thinking they cannot be reusable?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Gui.dorey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Otto Gaskets

Postby Gui.dorey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am

Hi Simes,

I recall reading through a thread here some time ago, that someone had analyzed the Otto gasket and came to the conclusion it was reusable. I'm not sure what the topic was or when it was posted, but likely a search will bring it up. It was thread where someone dissected a gasket to see how they were constructed.

But speaking of replacing them - anybody know where Otto gaskets can be found? or are they now like hen's teeth?

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am

The Draganfly website suggests that they are in stock - at least for Mk1s. PN is 75-00 I think - I looked it up a couple of hours ago.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Simon, Bruce Longman should be stocking them.. It is suggested that they are reusable.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

pkrichardson

Postby pkrichardson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Bruce Longman,s are half the price of Drags

paul.ptak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby paul.ptak » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:21 am

While I have not used the Otto gaskets yet...I have sets for a '50 & '51 SQ4 sitting on the shelf...they look just like the composite head gaskets that are commonly used as upgrades on a Commando engine which I have used plenty of. My belief is that the composite head gasket is not reusable. My belief is based on the fact that composite gaskets do reveal where they have been compressed after heads have been retorqued a couple of times after substantial heat cycles.

Unlike a copper gasket that can be heated upon removal to get it to "swell" and allow it to be compressed again, the composite gaskets stay the same thickness as when they were removed from the engine. I am not suggesting that a copper head gasket is superior because of this fact; my belief is that a composite head gasket is a consumable item that should not be put back into service after being used.

After typing the above statements; I'm looking at the Otto gasket instruction sheet right now; the last note states, "General note: All head gaskets in the automotive industry can only be used once." Also, the Otto instructions call for a re-tighten after 50 miles and again after 600 miles. On a Commando I typically re-tighten or re-torque a head after it has been brought up to operating temperature one time, then allowed to cool to "stone cold", then again after 500 miles after allowing the entire engine to cool down to "stone cold".

Pulling and reinstalling a head takes time and time is money...not worth saving the cost of new gaskets to do it a second time if the reused gaskets don't seal.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm

I have successfully re-used Otto gaskets on iron head Squares starting with the 1936 Cammy. I applied a substance which appears to be no longer available called plastic hermetite to each side of the gasket before re-use. I wouldn't do it on an alloy head Square because of the low amount of torque you can apply to these engines, especially the Mk I.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 pm

My iron head 4 ran without any head gaskets.......I surface ground the barrel and head, lapped ,and blued to check........No iron engine needs a head gasket if the surfaces match exactly......even water cooled engines...........soft head gaskets generally allow the fasteners to pull down bulges in the mating surface......this is clearly seen on sidevalve heads .....Alloy heads and iron barrels do need a gasket to absorb the differential expansion,which will wear away the mating surfaces.

Return to “Four stroke”