Replacing oil tank cap seal

Anything about Ariels
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Replacing oil tank cap seal

Postby bevanclark » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:53 am

Hi folks,
Posted thus query on FB as well, but the reply was "replace the seal", which didn't really answer my question, since it didn't say how. So: can anyone tell me how to dissemble without wrecking the cap on my VB oil tank- I need to replace the seal. Also, am I right in assuming the i.d. of the seal is less than the o d. of the centre dome piece ? See attached photo. Thanks, Bevan
Attachments
IMG_19042021_195105_(50_x_50_mm).jpg

Roger Gwynn

Re: Replacing oil tank cap seal

Postby Roger Gwynn » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I don't think it is possible/practical to replace. I have looked at these before, no supplier in the trade has ever listed a replacement as far as I am aware. Would like to be proved wrong.
Roger Gwynn, Worldwide Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

hi i was wondering if the pin that the chain fits on can unscrew ( maybe lock tight in ) :?: i know there is a spring or a spring plate under the cap so that has to be fitted with the rubber seal after the cap has been chromed :roll:

john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.bebb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:35 pm

Hold cap securely in soft-jawed vice - use a sliding fit tommy bar thru chain loop to unscrew (std RH thread) - replace rubber seal with ~ 2mm neoprene sheet... Bob's yer uncle &/or Fanny's yer aunt...
Cheers, John

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:12 am

No joy there - it just rotates, not unscrews. Will give up on that and try to replace the seal without taking it apart.
Thanks anyway. Cheers, Bevan

Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Mick D » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 am

Hi

I think you'll find that there's a thin 'washer' under the seal, this washer is too large to pass the detents for the bayonet fitting. However you can distort the washer with thin screwdrivers / picks enough to allow it to pass the detents. Straighten the washer before re-installing it, (which is much easier than removal).

If you are using a rubber type seal you can install it without removing the cap 'innards' ;)

Regards Mick

Return to “Ariel Talk”