1939 Long Handlebar Grips + various rubber parts

Anything about Ariels
Andrus.Luuding

1939 Long Handlebar Grips + various rubber parts

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 am

Hi There, Been looking around for period pattern grips for my 39' NG that has 7/8" bar and helical throttle. What was the design used at the time, Amal or John Bull? Grips should be open ended and so far what i have come up on the web is some John Bull type grips 6" which are not open ended but that should not be a problem to cut there a little but would these be correct shape? Drag has Amal's for 1" bar and other ones are short type unfortunately.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-BSA-J ... 3a7dfbfc19

Also there are many different K/S rubber around. Believe design was different for some years and different models. So far think for 39 NG it should be without Ariel logo and closed end. As on below link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-BURMAN-KI ... 1e77289a9f

On a gear change lever i'v seen on 37' bike small hole drilled through the lever guessing for some small pin to hold the rubber from sliding off... Dont have any hole in mine and from pics havent really seen any other with hole either so this could just be someones custom job to keep the rubber on?

Burman used sort of rubber cover on their gearbox clutch levers. Was this used only for some period on Ariels? From sales book there seems to be one on 39' bikes.

Regrds,
Andrus

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 am

I usually get my rubbers from Hunter Engineering. Typically for unusual sizes they will make the rubbers and it takes some weeks. I have Amal rubbers on my straight pull throttle (1937 NH). I usually buy two sets so that I have one in reserve and keep the spare one in a plastic bag away from the air and UV light. The throttle rubber seems up to about 5 years until it starts to slip. If you order them now you might be able to collect at the Stafford show in April. I have no idea if they respond to emails.

Jeff Hunter Engineering
35 Sandgate Rd
Hall Green
Birmingham
B28 0UN
phone : 0121 745 1954
email : Jeffalanhunter@aol.com

As far as I know the Ariel logo kickstart rubbers are from somewhere during the post war period.

I have seen several gear levers with a pin through them but don't know if this was a popular owner improvement or a factory practice.

As far as I know the clutch lever rubber was a smaller type pre war compared to the large 'glove' type which was used somewhere after the war.

Please take all of the above with a pinch of salt. It might be wrong and it might be right. An expert will be a long shortly...
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/TriumphModelN
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS) http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7RacerMk2
1954 VeloLE

AOMCC Member 3400

Andrus.Luuding

Re: 1939 Long Handlebar Grips + various rubber parts

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks for info. Will try to get in touch with Jeff regrding grips.
As for clutch lever rubber i found this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160927773905? ... 26_rdc%3D1
Thoughts anyone?
Regards,
Andrus

ray.tolman
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby ray.tolman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi Andrus and Dave,
A few questions/comments if I may.
Lucas made a rubber cover to fit over the wires where they enter the dynamo.
Do you have any idea if this would have been used in 1937?
Ariel also used a rubber moulding to seal the tool box lid. Unfortunately, this is not reproduced.
I have a photo of the tool box on a 1939 VH with the moulding, but no idea what it's shape is with the lid removed. It is no doubt held captive by the three metal tabs spot welded inside the lid.
More information is also needed about the tubing that covers the loom between the headlamp and tank. What was the diameter, wall thickness, and length? Was the tubing held captive by the clamp on the gauge cluster in the headlamp or just run up to it?
I assume the two small clamps, held by small screws, either side of the headstock are for the control cables (clutch, brake, etc) and that the wiring loom was held to the upper tube of the frame by the aluminum strip ties.
Was there any sheathing to cover the dynamo wires coming from the regulator to the dynamo or were they loose?
So many questions about such small details.
Cheers and thanks for your patience.
Ray

Andrus.Luuding

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Ray,
Well i wish i had the knowledge to answer all your questions...
-No Idea about rubber covers near dyname
-I know there was seal for toolbox but havent seen one close and no idea how it would look like :(
- On steering head i had one small clam on either side. Right side there a Clutch, Ex. lifter and Mag advance cables passing on other side throttle and air cables. Think Wiring loom was also in this calmp but not sure as the size is quite a bit larger than what would fit there. Maybe just tied to the frame under the tank by aluminium strip.
- So far have no info about sheating for wires near the dynamo or going to horn. all loose..
Hope somebody can give more info...
Regards,
Andrus

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 am

There is a cover fitted on the end of the magneto cable , Nev

Return to “Ariel Talk”