1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Anything about Ariels
Damien Towning

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Postby Damien Towning » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Something I forgot to mention about the forks that made me laugh was they seem to have come out of the same spot in regional Victoria as the frame did so many years ago and I have a vague memory that parts on the table at the particular jumble were similarly tagged and labelled as a tag that is on the forks now. Not saying they are related. Just found it a bit amusing that they seem to be!

The motor also came out of a different dragons hoard that was really worth the long drive to see and again from Victoria. Much respect to the bloke in question as I do believe it was his fathers collection and that he had passed on from whence the motor came. Fellow could have charged tickets and put in a viewing gallery for what I saw! I may never again see so many veteran pieces all in one spot. I was dumb founded at the level of intense squirreling that had occurred. It didn't make me feel greedy though just a bit sad for the loss of whoever the guy was that is most likely now gone. Had clearly all been very well stored and cared for and a series of amazing projects were all lined up heading towards various stages of completion. Apparently some nasty people had been in and turned over boxes and such like just to have a rummage. Bit impolite and rude. I took exactly what I paid for and just gazed for a bit in awe. I would expect whoever it was perhaps had a shop or was a known restorer. My sense is whoever pulled the motor down was the sort of person who likes to store motorcycle snacks for later. Crank and piston gone. But the top end had a bit of oil sprayed in it and then all the important bolts put back like somebody cared and planned to return to it. Has a number written in white chalk of some kind on the top of the cylinder also.

It is great that these bits turned up here in Victoria and moved my project forward. Now if only I could find the right rear mudguard. That bit I think needs to be exactly right since I need it and the associated other gubbins to help line up the rear bits of the frame. Pannier and stand pieces. Anything at all to do with the rear end of it is still eluding me.

Damien Towning

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Postby Damien Towning » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Also on the topic of what is pukka and not so pukka I do remember an occasion where I was about a week in to a particular desert trip in Australia and feeling rather pleased with myself for having got that far on some cobbled together affair not much beyond a two stroke bicycle and then from nowhere some chap happily passed me in the other direction on the most tremendous old veteran beater I have ever seen. He was like a ghost or a mirage or something. Right out of the 30's he was. What struck me about it was that I was on some sort of adventure and this chap on the other hand just appeared to going along like he had come from somewhere and was going to somewhere like it was of no great import. I was towing a big cart of supplies behind me and covered in dust with a beard and this fellow on the other hand was carrying nothing else at all! What sort of hard man rides a cobbled together veteran through the desert like that and to get to what exactly? Fetching the milk??? What was he doing all the way out in that place a week from anything in any direction. I really don't mind if that bike or the fellow had the wrong forks on them. It was entirely pukka! Tweed! Yes he was wearing tweed ! In the middle of the desert !

Return to “Ariel Talk”