Leaking Fuel Tap

Singles, twins and fours.
KevinDennis

Leaking Fuel Tap

Postby KevinDennis » Sun May 16, 2021 3:48 am

Hi all, I have two new fuel taps from drags that have leaked from new, anybody have any tips or tricks to stop this happening?
It is leaking from the body (around the plunger) not from the fittings.
Attachments
7E9429CF-1E5C-4835-8C7E-6835B4F8D09A.jpeg

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Leaking Fuel Tap

Postby john.whiting » Sun May 16, 2021 5:37 am

Originality is a fine thing,but not if it sets your bike on fire......I use proper bronze lapped plug 1/4 turn taps ,they dont leak a drop,and I know if a bit of cork crumbles I wont have a flood of petrol that can only be stopped by laying the bike on its side......if the tanks full,too bad.

KevinDennis

Postby KevinDennis » Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 am

Thanks John, where can I purchase these taps? pretty certain I wouldn’t find it funny having 1000cc of burning engine between my legs either mate

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 am

Mine all come from my collection of "stuff".....the pukkah packed gland steam cocks are nice too,but I imagine pricey new......See if ebay or amazon sell "brass cocks" in 1/4 or 3/8 bsp.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun May 16, 2021 7:18 am

I had a look,seems its all teflon ball valves now ,hardly antique looking ......makers of brass fittings all used to make the small brass taps.....such as petrol taps on mowers,and small engines ....I just pick them up when I see them .....Westinghouse used to supply a very nice line of fittings for copper pipe,and such ,in sizes relevant to truck air brakes ....but pricey......I think they were Weatherhead USA fittings....Crane Copper and Brass used to make a line of valves and stuff ,but I think they went broke.

keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby keith.mettam » Sun May 16, 2021 9:20 am

If you are in the UK have a look at the feked website. Quite a choice of petrol taps there including some brass ones. I am not sure if they are the type John recommends but you make your choice, pay your money and take your chances. They should be fine though.
All the best,
Keith.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun May 16, 2021 9:49 am

The corks in the taps dry-out in storage - and leak.

Strip the tap, remove the cork and boil it in water (briefly). It will swell and become soft. It shouldn't leak after that.

Of course, if its been soaking in petrol for months I'm afraid there is a different problem :roll: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby daveleek » Sun May 16, 2021 10:41 am

After spending a small fortune on various new fuel taps all boasting to be ethanol proof but are not even E5 proof , I toyed with the idea of using tapered plug gauge cocks but cant find a good supplier of small size pipe and fittings here in Holland , Heritage Steam Supplies in the UK have what I wanted but I am trying to avoid purchases from the UK , I eventually found the BAP type taps to be leak free , I got them from Feked.
vuel valves.pdf
(403.55 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG

The 4 taps pictured are the type that all leaked and are scrap

MGriffin

Postby MGriffin » Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I didnt bother with my original tap and in some ways i wish i had.
I spent 2 days polishing and reseating a badly made taper seat tap and all I seemed to do was make it worse.

I bought another taper seat type but this time from a reputable brass fitting supplier. Perfect. smooth operation and no
leaks.
I was told then that they are expected to be discontinued as the tool maker son of the person who used to make them plus countless other previously discontinued british OEM brass fiitings wants to retire aswell!
M

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 pm

I posted this back in 2015:

A couple of years ago I had removed the fuel line from one of my bikes and noticed the tap had a slow leak - a drop of gasoline every few minutes. The corks had been in the tap for many years but instead of replacing them with new ones I decided to follow the advice given by Dennis Hern in one of his Technical Tips found on Page 20 of the August 2009 Cheval. The procedure involves the use of hot water and melted candle wax and worked extremely well for me. I think even brand new corks would benefit from the procedure.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Return to “Four stroke”