Single Spares

Bikes or not. Whatever
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Single Spares

Postby john.whiting » Sun May 16, 2021 7:10 am

A big problem caused by using soft gaskets with sidevalves is the head will be a series of bows between the bolts........Lap the head to the barrel....if you have a reasonably big lathe,its a lot easier to turn both faces......anyhoo,once you have a nice match,I suggest you put a smear of black silastic on the mating faces ...this will stop an insidious leak of oil coming out between the faces.......by the way,be sure to wash out any grit from the bolt threads .....best to fill the threads with wax,melt it out after lapping.

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks Gary and John, plenty of food for thought there. I certainly don't want to keep chewing through gaskets, so need to apply a decent fix.

Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Roger Gwynn » Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Ariel never built side valves without head gaskets that only applies to ohv singles pre 1952.
Roger Gwynn, Worldwide Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon May 17, 2021 1:25 am

Solid ones and composite ones will still blow but the copper only ones are less likely to do so. They often grow outwards and elongate the holes. Annealing them is nearly impossible to do without damaging them. Having both head and barrel surfaces perfectly flat is the place to start from .
More bolts are better but that's in the hands of the designer. IF the head has been shaved it may be weaker. I spray 550 degree engine paint (aluminium ) on both sides of the copper gasket. The engines heat will bake it. Get the engine hot on the stand without load, let it cool and retension it straight away . Have anti seize on bolts or nuts. If your motor is overheating, you are more likely to have gasket problems Make sure it's not running too retarded. More than a foot of blue pipe needs investigating. Don't rev sidevalves. Make/let them pull. Nev

SimonFletcher

Postby SimonFletcher » Mon May 17, 2021 8:38 am

bevanclark wrote:
Simon: Just wondering what the reason is for applying grease to a solid copper gasket ? I can underestand doing that for a paper gasket such as used on a timing cover etc.

Cheers,
Bevan

I think the grease probably just carbonises, but even that helps a little when removing the gasket…
54-57 Ariel VH, 72 BMW R60/5, 83 BMW R80RT

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Mon May 17, 2021 8:51 am

1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/TriumphModelN
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS) http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7RacerMk2
1954 VeloLE

AOMCC Member 3400

MGriffin

Postby MGriffin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:41 pm

so back to the original question….when will single spares be back??

Julian Murphy

Postby Julian Murphy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Another customer waiting........

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm

It seems a bit of a mess to me,why was there not someone ready to go when Pete gave up as with other positions.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:31 pm

as you know peter and who is going to run the single spares do it voluntary , and have jobs as well plus they have to move them from peters to there new place and get set up and that take time :!: unless the members would like to chip in and pay to get them moved , then you will get the spares sooner :?: and i think it is a lot to take on running the club spares :!:
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”